The Nissan Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Was doing some digging around on the site and found some threads for later model Altimas but none for 3rd gen Altis.

I have noticed a leak where the carpet material meets the plastic pillar lately on the drivers side. I decided to take things apart today and get a better look. At first I was thinking the glass people might of messed-up since I had a windshield replacement not too long ago. But as I removed more things that keep my hand from fitting inside the headliner I discovered the leak was higher up. So I rolled my sunroof back and took the seal/gasket off from the inside of the sunroof cut-out. I found no wetness.

The water is tracking somehow to the pillar though, from about the halfway point from the headliner portion that would be over the driver's head. I tried to take better pics, however the wet part that I was able to feel could not be photographed because of clearance issues. I concluded however that the wet part of the headliner was a bit too high up for the windshield seal to be at fault. Anybody have any problems like this?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same problem and have yet to find a solution, my problrm is on the passenger side pillar and the sunglasses holder, I have a 2.5 sl never have replaced the windshield and don't have a sunroof... I'm baffled

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, me too Chris.
Something tells me though that if you figure something out it may just be the info I need as well.
I'll update if I have any break-throughs.

After all, my sunroof is closed and the seal is fine.
I was reading on the forum about later model Altimas that have a drain pipe inside the driver side column.
I have to wonder if there was anything like that in 3rd gen Altis?

The problem happens in later model Altimas because the drain pipe develops a kink and then fills beyond capacity.
I don't think we're looking at the same issue with 3rd gen versions though.

I cringe anymore when it rains hard outside.
Really getting tired of everything that has to do with fluid on this car leaking, including rain into the car.

·
2010 2.5 SL
588 Posts
Both of these could STILL be the moonroof. A kink in the tube (again, assuming those years have the tube system) would allow a slow drain. By the time you notice the wetness in the car, the rain may very well have stopped and the water very slowly trickle out of the tube so that no signs are visible at the exterior.

You do have the opportunity to problem-solve this with some plastic wrap and tape. Just seal off the entire moonroof and hose it down for a while. If the interior is not wet, then you know where the problem is.

I suppose you could also open the moonroof and pour water into the cavity to see if it drains well, but I know I'd wind up just pouring a gallon of water directly into my interior; but you might be more nimble than I.

·
2010 2.5 SL
588 Posts
Aguynamedchris's problem, however, suggests something else. Perhaps the weatherstripping is getting too brittle and is not watertight anymore. Plastic and tape can still help locate the exact point of problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
As I'm sitting in my car just watching the water come in through the sunglasses holder I decided to pull it out and try to locate exactly where the leak is coming from. It seems to be the seal from the windshield. I put some tape over it and it stopped leaking

1 - 6 of 6 Posts