The Nissan Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
2015 Nissan Altima S 2.5
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Well, it is snowing here in the Richmond area. So far, it is just sticking in the grass and not on the roads (thankfully). We are expected to get less than an inch of accumulation, which is fine with me.

I bought my 2015 Altima in October of 2014, so I made it through last winter with it. However, I seldom drove it in snow because I still had my old Sentra (which I sold last August). With a 5spd and front-drive, it did rather well as long as the snow was not too deep.

I drove my Altima in heavy snow just once and it did rather well. The Hankook Optimo tires are probably not as good as Bridgestone Blizzaks, but they were adequate. Traction control and ABS help a bit as well -- neither of which my Sentra had.

How do you folks feel about YOUR Altima in the snow? Any opinion - positive or negative? How does it compare to other four-door sedans you have owned?

·
Registered
189 Posts
I find that even with new Bridgestone Blizzaks on my 2.5SL the Altima tends to plow past and overshoot snowy/slushy corners unless I take them very slow.

Oddly enough, the best handling 4-Door Sedan in the snow that I have had was a 2006 Grand Prix GXP 5.3L V8 fitted with Blizzaks. It must have been the added weight in front of the V8 (it was front wheel drive) combined with the wide track that gave it such good traction.

·
Registered
286 Posts
2015 2.5 sl with Michelin mxv4. these tires handled snow very good. Few inches, I am talking about.
Those were the OEM tire on my 2009 Sonata, THEY ROCK!!!

Cold Forge I've had 4 new small front wheel drive cars since 2009 so they were all light as hell and I've found that you have to put some amount of weight over or behind the rear axle to get the best turning on snow/ice or even heavy rain. I've found that even 50lbs all the way to the back of the trunk will make a huge impact on it. I bought the Altima in March 2015 so I haven't had the chance to see what it will take yet. I will report back when I do. The old GM's I've had (used to be a big GM guy) and even my 2013 Malibu were the best in snow. My Malibu plus me was about 3700lbs and the rear suspension was more like a van than a car. The other 3 cars all have rear ends that seem stiff can unrelenting; my 2009 Sonata and 2013 Elantra both had about 4" in height between the tire and the fender exterior; it looked like a bunch of heavy luggage was in their trunk.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts

Well, it is snowing here in the Richmond area. So far, it is just sticking in the grass and not on the roads (thankfully). We are expected to get less than an inch of accumulation, which is fine with me.

I bought my 2015 Altima in October of 2014, so I made it through last winter with it. However, I seldom drove it in snow because I still had my old Sentra (which I sold last August). With a 5spd and front-drive, it did rather well as long as the snow was not too deep.

I drove my Altima in heavy snow just once and it did rather well. The Hankook Optimo tires are probably not as good as Bridgestone Blizzaks, but they were adequate. Traction control and ABS help a bit as well -- neither of which my Sentra had.

How do you folks feel about YOUR Altima in the snow? Any opinion - positive or negative? How does it compare to other four-door sedans you have owned?
I like my new WS80 Blizzaks less than the WS50's they replaced. I find them particularly slippy on painted lines (like stop lines, fat ped-xing, etc.). This makes me worry (a little) about a panic stop that involves braking on a solid line...such as the double yellow, or shoulder single white.

However they've all been so covered in snow and slush in recent weeks...that's been less of a problem :)

That said, their wet and dry performance has been great, and I can ?safely? lane change at speed in some pretty ugly weather conditions (specifically that inter-lane berm of snow, to a snowy lane and back, with confidence that the car will track properly.

·
Registered
304 Posts
reduce the air in your front tires a little for better traction. much like driving in sand, you get a bigger footprint if the tire is lower.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts