The Nissan Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

So 2001 Sentra, Canadian edition with Daytime Running lights. The other day I noticed that my Daytime Running lights weren't working. So I fiddled a bit, checked the fuses under the dash and under the hood and turns out my Driverside High Beam had burnt out. So, like most of us, I just changed the bulb and thought I would be all done. Turns out it wasn't just that.

I had read online that people had problems with the DRL Module, which I had a devil of a time finding. For the record, on Canadian models it's located under the kick panel located on the driverside below the trunk release. So I disconnected the battery and installed one that I had picked up at a Junkyard. This actually made my situation worse. Now I had lost both High and Low beam on the Driverside.

So I disconnected the battery and regrouped. Junkyard offers 6 month exchange warranty so I put the OLD DRL module back in the car and buttoned everything up. Assuming I would be on the same boat afterewards.

Now get this, after everything was buttoned up, and the battery reconnected, everything was working??? I'm not sure if the wrong DRL module caused the cars computer to reset itself or just leaving the battery disconnected long enough did.

Anyways, I've got a weird DRL module now to sit on the shelf but, good news I'm back in business!!!
Just thought I'd pass it on for future readers.
 

·
Registered
2006 Nissan XTrail T30 (Canadian)
Joined
·
1 Posts
The problem in those DRL units, in my case it was in my '06 (Canadian) Xtrail, is with bad solder connections. What has probably happened is that with all the jiggling and moving of the original DRL unit you happened to re-establish a connection at a bad solder joint. It's a pretty good bet the spontaneous "repair" won't last and you will have the problem again. I have worked a lot on that DRL unit so that I could install LED headlights on my XTrail and still have the DRLs work (you have to do modifications and rerouting of the internal wiring but you don't change/modify any of the actual electronic components). I can tell you exactly why the junkyard unit wouldn't work, and it was either another solder joint or possibly a relay problem. The way those Canadian Nissan DRLs work (at least up to the 2006 model years for the Sentra and the XTrail) is that the two headlight high beams are operated in series, so each is running at about half voltage. The DRL unit does that through a couple of relays. The wiring is set up such that the LH headlamps are not grounded at the actual headlamp but rather what would be their normal ground wire is routed back to the DRL unit. To operate the DRLs voltage is sent to the high beam side of the left headlamp, the ground wire goes back to the DRL unit and a relay directs it to the high beam side of the right headlamp. When you turn on the normal headlights the DRLs of course turn off and the LH headlamps are grounded internally in the DRL unit through one of the two relays. More than likely the junkyard DRL unit has a bad solder connection at pin 7 or possibly pin 9 (that is where incoming electrical ground enters the DRL unit).
If you have a proper electronics-type pencil/soldering iron (in fact a modest soldering gun could be used if you're careful) and electronic, flux-core solder you can redo the bad solder connections and that will permanently solve the problem. Removing the internal circuit board from the outer case is a bit of a challenge because the outer case is very thin plastic. The internals are snapped in place with two plastic fingers near the ends of each of the long sides. Careful work with a very thin metal tool like a putty knife or maybe even a thin, springy type older style kitchen knife will allow you to move the sides of the outer case out just enough to release the internal circuit board.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, I ended up replacing the old DRL unit with one from a junkyard but, I plan on taking the old one apart and seeing if i can fix the bad solder joints inside. Then I'll have a spare!!!
Trickiest part is getting into the housing for sure!!!!
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top