The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Cub Fan, Bud Man...
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is only my second post, so be kind :D I have a 2.5S. I've had it for about 3 months. When I first got the car, it had 16 miles on it, and was getting about 28 mpg, (Avg with City&HWY driving).
It now has 3800 on it, and my last few tanks I've averaging just under 23. Anyone experience something similar? I haven't used the A/C anymore, nor have I driven it any harder. Is this normal break-in procedure? Personally, I have kinda a bad feeling about it, and need someone to reassure me! Thanks guys.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I get about 26 mpg on mine, and it has 4600 km (2875 miles) on it. I am vary easy on gas, and driving mostly at night time with little traffic.

However, under rush-hour and traffic jam, I get something less than 22 mpg, due to up-hill start and mostly driving in 1st gear.

IMO, 23 mpg is a bit low, but if you drive 90% city and 10% highway, that would be acceptable.

BTW, I use 92 octane, so keep it into consideration.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Last tank was 26.6 mpg (calculated miles/gallons), tank before was 26.2 mpg. Did not do calculations on the first couple tanks, but have not got below 25 mpg since I have calculated it. I do about 40/60 highway/city with A/C when needed, usually on the drive home from work.

I have around 3800 miles on it.

Break-in should only make it better.

·
Cub Fan, Bud Man...
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replys. I'll keep my eye on it. If it drops any more, then to Nissan I go. Its not that 23 is bad, its that the sudden drop from 28 has left me wondering, that's all. thanks again.

·
Registered
833 Posts
BSU_Altima said:
Thanks for the replys. I'll keep my eye on it. If it drops any more, then to Nissan I go. Its not that 23 is bad, its that the sudden drop from 28 has left me wondering, that's all. thanks again.
Another thing that you might want to try is go to a different gas supplier. Formulations change and so do qualities of gas.

I think I may have seen a 1 mpg increase by going to a better gas. Although 1 mpg is hard to attribute to gas.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I think that the heat has something to do with the combustion as well ..... But i may be wrong... Ill be honest I rest my thing every time and it always says i get 20-21 which we all know that means im getting 17-19 but like i said I drive fast some times (like last night) 115 for extended periods of times.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
"dude i would be happy with that i have 18k on my car and i get 18 mpg and i drive mostly freeway BUT i drive like 95 mph everyday..."

He has a 2.5, not a 3.5.

I get about 26.5 around town (with a fair bit of short distance driving done by my wife) according to my computer and verified by hand at every fillup in my auto 2.5S...mileage hasn't varied by much since I bought it about 6 weeks ago...topped out around 29 or so in all highway, which I thought was pretty lousy considering the light weight of the car and the sleek design...auto must suck up alot of juice I guess.

If you're not standing on the gas pedal all the time in stop and go traffic I'd say 23mpg is on the extremely low side of acceptable for a car of this weight and power...I'd get it checked. I may have missed it in the thread, but are you just using the computer or are you doing your mileage by hand too? I know some owners have expressed misgivings about the accuracy of the trip computer.

·
Cub Fan, Bud Man...
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
tdoyle- i calculate by hand
JerryJ - I don't like civics,
I have the 2.5, so I don't drive a Rocket,
and gas mileage isn't a concern, the fact that it dropped is :)

·
Big Yellow Mutt
504 Posts
BSU_Altima said:
tdoyle- i calculate by hand
JerryJ - I don't like civics,
I have the 2.5, so I don't drive a Rocket,
and gas mileage isn't a concern, the fact that it dropped is :)
Is this just for one tank, or on average?

One tankfull isn't any concern.

·
NO LIFE POSTER
1,503 Posts
I too noticed that mine dropped. When I go my car 30 mpg was not hard to get. (highway). Now I have to babie it to get 28 on the highway and if I drive it 10 miles in the city it drop's down to 23-25.

I have a 2.5s 5 speed. This will be the last 5 speed I EVER get.

·
A clean motor is happier
190 Posts
BSU_Altima said:
This is only my second post, so be kind :D I have a 2.5S. I've had it for about 3 months. When I first got the car, it had 16 miles on it, and was getting about 28 mpg, (Avg with City&HWY driving).
It now has 3800 on it, and my last few tanks I've averaging just under 23. Anyone experience something similar? I haven't used the A/C anymore, nor have I driven it any harder. Is this normal break-in procedure? Personally, I have kinda a bad feeling about it, and need someone to reassure me! Thanks guys.
I drive about 400 miles before the dte(distance to empty) gets close to zero. That's 400 for 15gal of fuel (5 gal is reserve in the tank if you didn't know) Mine said higher mpg when I first got it, but I think they reset it before I picked it up. Anyway, don't be so concerned with what that stupid fuel computer says for mpg, go by what your getting on a full tank (remember, there's 5 gal or so in the tank when it reads empty)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts