The Nissan Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering what the advantages and uses are for the DS on the gear selector? Plus I have a button on my gear selector knob and when I push it my RPM's shoot very high? I usually dont leave it there long because the RPM's go very high. Whats the purpose of the DS gear and the button on gear shifter?

Thanks Sean

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
This is explained in the Nissan Altima Owners Manual, Starting and driving pages 5-13 thru 5-18.

Ds (Drive Sport):
When the shift selector is shifted from the D (Drive) to Ds (Drive Sport) position, the transmission enters the Ds (Drive Sport) mode. Moving the shift selector to the Ds (Drive Sport) position allows you to enjoy “sporty” driving shift operation on a winding road and feel smooth acceleration or deceleration on a hilly road by moving in a
lower gear automatically. When canceling the DS mode, return the shift selector to the D (Drive) position. The transmission returns to the normal driving mode.

Overdrive (O/D) OFF switch (if so equipped)
When the O/D OFF switch is pushed with the shift selector in the D (Drive) position, the light in the instrument panel illuminates. See “Overdrive off indicator light” in the “Instruments and controls” section of this manual.
Use the Overdrive off mode when you need improved engine braking.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I was just wondering what the advantages and uses are for the DS on the gear selector? Plus I have a button on my gear selector knob and when I push it my RPM's shoot very high? I usually dont leave it there long because the RPM's go very high. Whats the purpose of the DS gear and the button on gear shifter?

Thanks Sean
I use the O/D off often - when going down hills, or even when coming to a stop - the added engine braking saves wear on the brakes.
Do you guys have the 2.5 or the 3.5? If 3.5, what is your build date?

Just asking because I have a 3.5 with a 2/13 build date and I don't have an overdrive button and I'm thinking this is a 2.5 feature.

·
Registered
816 Posts
3.5 doesn't have the O/D button
I would think that's because it has the paddle shifters. You can still achieve the O/D functionality by using the manual/sport mode and shifting down with the paddles.

I only use O/D off when going down hills and the downhill assist doesn't provide enough engine braking or when slowing down from driving at high speed (usually 50+ MPH).

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is explained in the Nissan Altima Owners Manual, Starting and driving pages 5-13 thru 5-18.

Ds (Drive Sport):
When the shift selector is shifted from the D (Drive) to Ds (Drive Sport) position, the transmission enters the Ds (Drive Sport) mode. Moving the shift selector to the Ds (Drive Sport) position allows you to enjoy “sporty” driving shift operation on a winding road and feel smooth acceleration or deceleration on a hilly road by moving in a
lower gear automatically. When canceling the DS mode, return the shift selector to the D (Drive) position. The transmission returns to the normal driving mode.

When the O/D OFF switch is pushed with the shift selector in the D (Drive) position, the light in the instrument panel illuminates. See “Overdrive off indicator light” in the “Instruments and controls” section of this manual.
Is the button on the shift selector on my 2008 Altima Coupe with a V6 and CVT transmission only for Overdrive and should I see a light on the instrument panel when this button is depressed? I do not see an light and so maybe, as noted by another commenter, I have to hold it down longer. Also, any danger to the transmission by shifting into or out of DS mode while moving? Thanks.

Ds (Drive Sport):

I have a 2008 Altima Coupe with 3.5 v6 and CVT transmission. Is the button on the shift selector only for OD and if the light on the instrument panel is not on for O/D how can I tell if O/D is engaged? Also, any danger to the transmission shifting in or out of DS while moving? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Is the button on the shift selector on my 2008 Altima Coupe with a V6 and CVT transmission only for Overdrive and should I see a light on the instrument panel when this button is depressed? I do not see an light and so maybe, as noted by another commenter, I have to hold it down longer. Also, any danger to the transmission by shifting into or out of DS mode while moving? Thanks.

I have a 2008 Altima Coupe with 3.5 v6 and CVT transmission. Is the button on the shift selector only for OD and if the light on the instrument panel is not on for O/D how can I tell if O/D is engaged? Also, any danger to the transmission shifting in or out of DS while moving? Thanks.
This question is answered in post # 6.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Just read post #6. Any idea why my 3.5 with CVT has the O/D button on the shift selector if no O/D? Also, do you know if shifting from D to DS while moving causes any problems?
You do NOT have an O/D button on your shift lever. Your 3.5 CVT does NOT have O/D.

You do have a button to push to move the shift lever out of park.

To move the shift selector:
Press the button while depressing the brake pedal

From the Nissan Altima Owners Manual:

DS (Drive Sport):
When the shift selector is shifted from the D (Drive) position to the manual shift gate, the transmission enters the DS (Drive Sport) mode. Moving the shift selector to the DS (Drive Sport) position allows you to enjoy “sporty” driving shift operation on a winding road and feel smooth acceleration or deceleration on a hilly road by moving in a lower gear automatically. When canceling the DS mode, return the shift selector to the D (Drive) position. The transmission returns to the normal driving mode.

● Ds (Drive Sport) mode - Move the shift selector over from D (Drive) to the left into the manual shift gate. The position indicator in the meter shows a “Ds”. In Ds (Drive Sport) mode, transmission operation changes to Sporty” driving shift operation, creating a more aggressive acceleration feeling than the D (Drive) mode and a gear change sensation when the driver accelerates quickly. When the driver selects M (Manual) mode ratio with the shift selector during Ds (Drive Sport) mode operation, the driver must move the shift selector from Ds mode to D mode and back again to re-select Ds (Drive Sport) mode.
● To cancel the Ds mode, return the shift selector to the D (Drive) position. The transmission returns to the automatic drive mode.

Follow these procedures for maximum vehicle performance and driving enjoyment.

My advice: Stop worrying about the button on your shifter and enjoy your car. Use Ds to your heart's content.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You do NOT have an O/D button on your shift lever. Your 3.5 CVT does NOT have O/D.

You do have a button to push to move the shift lever out of park.

To move the shift selector:
Press the button while depressing the brake pedal

From the Nissan Altima Owners Manual:

DS (Drive Sport):
When the shift selector is shifted from the D (Drive) position to the manual shift gate, the transmission enters the DS (Drive Sport) mode. Moving the shift selector to the DS (Drive Sport) position allows you to enjoy “sporty” driving shift operation on a winding road and feel smooth acceleration or deceleration on a hilly road by moving in a lower gear automatically. When canceling the DS mode, return the shift selector to the D (Drive) position. The transmission returns to the normal driving mode.

● Ds (Drive Sport) mode - Move the shift selector over from D (Drive) to the left into the manual shift gate. The position indicator in the meter shows a “Ds”. In Ds (Drive Sport) mode, transmission operation changes to Sporty” driving shift operation, creating a more aggressive acceleration feeling than the D (Drive) mode and a gear change sensation when the driver accelerates quickly. When the driver selects M (Manual) mode ratio with the shift selector during Ds (Drive Sport) mode operation, the driver must move the shift selector from Ds mode to D mode and back again to re-select Ds (Drive Sport) mode.
● To cancel the Ds mode, return the shift selector to the D (Drive) position. The transmission returns to the automatic drive mode.

Follow these procedures for maximum vehicle performance and driving enjoyment.

My advice: Stop worrying about the button on your shifter and enjoy your car. Use Ds to your heart's content.
Definitely enjoy this car. Thanks for the O/D update. First automatic in a long time but it is quick (3.5 in a coupe) and I can go lazy or auto as I desire. This is our families 4th Nissan Altima and we love the fact they are well built and easy to maintain.

Any thoughts on if you can go from D to DS
while moving?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
"Any thoughts on if you can go from D to DS?"

Yes, you can go from D to DS and back to D then back to DS and back to D as often as you like.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts