The Nissan Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started on my 15 mile drive to work in the am. dte said 178. Got to work it said 183. Got in drove home from work another15 miles with 3 stops along the way, pulled in my drive it read 178.
Something is not right, this was not a highway ride by any means.
Anyones doin the same thing?

·
Registered
36 Posts
It is working fine

The distance to empty is calculated from you current mpg. If you are driving more aggressively, mpg goes down and so does your distance to empty. Calm down a bit, mpg goes up and so does distance to empty.

·
Registered
884 Posts
If you were "getting on" your motor harder yesterday, you would have had worse average gas milage yesterday than you have today. Therefore, if your mpg reading is higher today, you are going to have a higher dte.

My car has adjusted it self and gotten higher miles on the dte and then goes lower and then higher.

I did it last week where my car said it had 36 miles left on the dte and the gas light came on. I just drove really smoothly and then it jumped to 41 dte and the light went out. I really don't think that computer is a work of science so don't trust it to be so. Also, know that it will say you are out of gas and still have about 4 gallons in there.

Also, someone on here posted that they went down a big hill and reset thier mpg reading. They then put the car in neutral and got up to 85 mph coasting. The computer told him his car was getting 99.9 mpg! hehehehe....

·
*Honorary Member* the dream!!!
84 Posts
it was probably getting more then 99.9 at that speed idling, but anyway the dte really gets better once you really break the car in, I'm not talking about 500 miles or 1000 miles, I'm talking about 5000 miles, once my car reached about 5000 my dte was up to about 480 when I fill up which is not the whole thing like 2002altima has stated, there's a few gallons that the computer keeps on reserve which would make it easily over 500 miles for a fill and I think I could probably get 600 miles on a fill but anyway I just wanted to say the dte varies on how much you accelerate and such and I had mine say it had 160 or sumthing and shoot up to 340 or somewhere around there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts