The Nissan Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
SITH LORD in training
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw something today that might be of use to us audiophiles today not sure but i will pass it on.Check out CAR AUDIO mag for JUNE 2002 they have a art. dealing with DUal alternators for cars and other applications this would take the strain off of our elect. system it looked like a cool install.and a big help, my system is on the low end with only 600 watts but the aux lighting and the system drps me down to only 11-12 volts at times.
Check out this web site=([email protected])re:alternator setup.ph#1-888-441-0144. Also (these sites have the hardware you need).Audio Options(www.audiooptions.com)re.installation
HP Distributing INC.(www.hpdistributinginc.com)cable and battery terminals. Also West Coast batteries,(you'll need a second battery) (www.odysseybatteries.com)
I hope all web addresses are correct i read the art in the stereo store, soon as i find the issue i will update the sites if need be.
I hope to try this out but if any one does it before me please post your results thanks,:D I apoligize for the length of this post.

·
Nissan God
12,955 Posts
yeah ive actually seen those a couple years ago, its for the hardcore competitor. prolly not for the usualy daily driver:p

·
SITH LORD in training
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know dual alternators sound rather hard-core ,it struck me as funny because i was just talking to my stereo installer the other day and he mentioned the same thing that i have been reading for the past year.That is car's electrical systems are not powerful enough to keep p with todays consumers,and within the next 2-4 years vechicles will slowly be upgraded o 24 volt systems.This would greatly improve our daily drivers as we install multi-media systems stereos,cmputers etc. A lot of car stereo mags talk about this as well as car designers.I will try this set up hopefully by the middle of the summer.I've gone through 2 alternators already with some of the beaut sound systems here it seemed app to give everyone interested a heads up:D

·
Resistance is futile
3,202 Posts
anakin skywalker said:
.That is car's electrical systems are not powerful enough to keep p with todays consumers,and within the next 2-4 years vechicles will slowly be upgraded o 24 volt systems.This would greatly improve our daily drivers as we install multi-media systems stereos,cmputers etc.
Actually, it will be 42 volts. I wish our cars had room to fit 2 alternators, because then we'd probably have a supercharger kit available.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
hmm.. my alternator's being pushed to the max, and i have another oem alternator sitting in my backseat. would this mod work for me, or will there be no room as kierandill said?

·
layin rubber on philly
950 Posts
i wish i had 2 alternators to. then i could crank the system up with out everything dimming. that pisses me off. the damn tach keeps dancing around.

·
RacingLine Guy
5,846 Posts
3JLS said:
i wish i had 2 alternators to. then i could crank the system up with out everything dimming. that pisses me off. the damn tach keeps dancing around.
HAHAHAHA you and me both even with the cap I got, if I really crank it up EVERYTHING dim and starts to jump LOL

·
SITH LORD in training
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
alright i see i am beating a dead horse,my stereo place says it can be done for about $1800 installed.He suggested a slightly cheaper alternative,an alternator like the ones used on police/ambulances. or rv's he'll be going away for a few days so iwill search the web for ^heavy duty alternators^ Does anyone out there have any experience with these things?Before i go rushing blindly in? Or is it even worth it? and for those of you whose lights are dimming from your systems how many watts are your systems? Mines is 600 watts,thank you:D I tried a second battery with little rsults

·
I can't type
2,545 Posts
If its still dimming with a cap, then try to lind 2 or 4 caps together this should help and will be ceaper than dual alternators. I recently got a quote on a 180 maps for the alty and they said like $700 for 18 amps. Four 1 farad caps will be like $350 if bought online.

·
*Honorary Member* Bass&Style is all U need.
5,546 Posts
2 Alternators would be nice but they would need to be 6 or 7 volt Alternators. You want HIGH amprage not high volts. You'll fry the whole car electrical system if you ran 2 alts at 24+/- volts.

·
New Transaxle JBWelded!
1,025 Posts
rf_fanatic said:
If its still dimming with a cap, then try to lind 2 or 4 caps together this should help and will be ceaper than dual alternators. I recently got a quote on a 180 maps for the alty and they said like $700 for 18 amps. Four 1 farad caps will be like $350 if bought online.
not necessarily...if it's a quick power delivery problem, caps work. If it's too much power for the alternator to put out, you could put 20 caps on there and it still wouldn't help. caps help with instant delivery problems, but can actually hurt if the alternator can't keep up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anybody know where I can get a bigger alternator for a 2003 nissan altima 3.5L? Also, if I'm getting 2 batteries, which brand is cheaper but still good quality?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
You can't just swap bigger alts onto cars that have ECM control over the originals, the ECM will not work with the bigger alt. They won't recognize two alts either.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
5,920 Posts
Look, you're not welding with this setup. Even a stock 130A alternator puts out 14V x 130 or over 1,800W..that's real 100% duty cycle electric kettle watts, not some hopped up Class D amplifer instantaneous audio watt. A big AGM battery and big (>1F) caps at each amplifier point of use should do you fine, unless your audio gear is worth twice what the car is.... Post your setup if you want to prove me wrong.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts