The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Tire Burner
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, so last night it was rainin real bad, and I was going too fast around a corner that goes into my school. I lost traction, slammed on my brakes, and hit a curb. It went on on the curb, deployed my airbags (gay!) and it popped both my tires. When the airbags went off, the pasenger one broke my windshield (still intact, but majorly cracked) My car still works, and I just kind of put a donut on, and moved it to a parking spot for later fixage. My front wheels, however both look "pushed back" is this my axles broken/bent or alignment somehow out of whack or what. The body is still untouched I believe and I hope its not too too much to get it fixed. Anyways, whats anyones opinion about the wheels?

Nate

Damn Water...

·
VTEC V6
211 Posts
Sorry to hear about the car. I read somewhere that if the wheels of an Altima were pushed back, the airbags would deploy. It's gonna be expensive to repair (bulk of it will probably be the airbags)... The front suspension of your car is probably ruined.

·
Speed Ricer
1,198 Posts
i did that, nailed a curb headon at 55mph, it pushed my passenger side wheel into the fender and bent that and my axle and broke off two lug nuts, and a shit load of other stuff, but my airbags didnt deploy. cost 3,700 bucks to fix. 28 new parts total.

·
good one Fonzie
11,588 Posts
Peterson said:
The front control arms are probably bent if the wheel are pushed back.
exactly, i did that this summer to my passenger front side...also check to see if you bent the unibody (I also did that)

$3600 for new paint on the whole front half, new sides, fixed unibody, 2 new rims/tires, new strut, new control arm, etc...

thank goodness for insurance

·
Tire Burner
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I'm driving again...heh well not now. I only hit the curb going like 25 but still, because I was a dumbshit I was braking hard, which made the front of my car lower. Yeah so how much does this affect your insurance. Once you have a car-curb collision, does it go up a lot?

·
It's almost over now!!
3,660 Posts
get an estimate, take the money to a good mechanic and say screw the airbags for know, just replace the passenger cover and go with an aftermarket wheel/hub assembly, in the long run you'll save tons of cash!

·
good one Fonzie
11,588 Posts
my insurance did NOT go up like I thought it would, even after shelling out $3600 in the end...but it was also my first claim, no tickets, no other at-fault accidents, no other claims (though I almost made the one from when my sideskirt was ripped off of the car at work)

Knock-on-wood for what I just posted

·
Tire Burner
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I've talked with my folks now, (being that I'm still 18 and in college) and my insurance will fix it (with $500 deductable) and it should get fixed sometime soon. I just went out and took pictures of it in the parking lot. http://students.db.erau.edu/~grant20e/carpics.html doesn't seem to be any body damage, but now that I look at it, there front left fender is a little off, so who knows. Hopefully this'll all work out.

·
:-)
2,049 Posts
your control arms be ****ed. Well, shit happens, could of been worse...

·
Tire Burner
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can you see that from the picture, or just the fact that wheels are pushed back. I tried taking a picture under the car, but I couldn't really tell since I haven't seen many

·
Tire Burner
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Another quickie, will letting it rest on a flat tire hurt the rim? I think the rubber should protect it fine, and when I drove it I went like 2mph

·
Cheetah
124 Posts
To let it sitting on flat does not hurt, but driving definitely will - even if you are only going at 0.5MPH. Why would you want to drive it anyway now? You might make things worse on your suspension parts by driving it that way. Quit driving it!!!

·
Dro'd Out!.....again!
2,366 Posts
if the insurance is fixing it(with the 500.00 deductable) what does it matter at this point? that cars gonna get repaired! i hit a curb and since the funder was already @#$*ed when i blew out the tire i just blamed in on the accident!!! got a new tire and rim outta it!

·
Shadetree Mechanic
6,095 Posts
Does the rim look bent? If not I doubt it'll cost more then 500 to fix. From the looks of things you just bent the control arms as Peterson said. Take the wheel off and inspect.

·
I Don't Drive An Altima
1,083 Posts
GEtting both airbags replaced costs about $2,500.. on a 94 at least.

·
Shadetree Mechanic
6,095 Posts
You don't wanna replace those. Wait a few years and grab one from a bone yard.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts