The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
phi phi Kappa Alpha
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know Fred did this on his new exhaust set up. I was just curious as to the advantages/disadvantages of this. I was wondering because I am just trying to plan out how I am going to do the new downpipe, I am getting close to getting all my bills paid off....any opinions and insight would be appreciated...thanks guys.

·
JDM NCP31 & CZ4A
6,528 Posts
what do u mean by "dumping"...

u mean dumping the exhaust OA or out the exhaust right?

i've been wondering the same thing...

·
phi phi Kappa Alpha
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry I meant having it dump to the atmosphere(I know it needs a seperate pipe so you don't melt stuff, but a pipe that dumps to atmosphere) oppsed to having it dump into the exhaust piping.

·
Incognito
6,134 Posts
an atmospheric wastegate is loud... I have the older f-max manifold and it leaves very little room for a dump tube, hence I have no dump tube. it will give you some more hp, but unless you're running higher boost, it's really not worth it right now.

·
phi phi Kappa Alpha
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are they any downsides? I mean I know room is tight in there, and I think I am going buy some mandrel bends and piping and have a friend weld up my exhaust, so I didn't know if it would be easier to dump the wastegate to atmosphere.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
F-max did a little experiment a little while back with venting the wastegate on a prelude kit they had. There are gains in horsepower to be had from doing this. But it is LOUD, and will tend to wear on a lot of rubber items in the engine bay. Done correctly and directed out of the engine bay there are impressive gains to be had. Done incorrectly and you'll looking to be replacing a lot of rubber lines.

UltimaSE

·
phi phi Kappa Alpha
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would assume you would use some DEI wrap to wrap the pipe that you use to dump it. I guess where would you end the pipe, becuase I know that exhaust gases are going to be real hot. Wouldn't it only be louder under full boost as well, becuase wouldn't it be closed at other times???

·
Turbo Motorhead
3,466 Posts
my wastegate 'dump' tube (pipe) had to be offset a little, then it angles straight down. low end is louder, and all but one of my lines is rubber in the pipe area....

will post pics when I get them from the shop that did the work...

·
Resident Boost Junkie
3,045 Posts
Well I just installed a o2 dump on the Talon, and its friggin loud ! When it opens at 17psi ! It frickin screams ! I did notice better spool up and more topend poiwer. Oh yea my o2 dump is actually a o2 sensor housing, and it has seperate pipes for the Turbin gases and waste gate gases. It dumps the wastegate gases to the atmosphere , its LOUD !

·
JDM NCP31 & CZ4A
6,528 Posts
so u guys have a pipe that dumps the stuff OUTSIDE of the engine bay then? but u guys don't recirculate...

and so it's bad to just have it dump from the gate directly?

(i've been pondering the same thing.

·
phi phi Kappa Alpha
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You dont' recirculate the wastegate, the turbonetics/fmax set up has it the gas escaping the wastegate into the exhaust downpipe. Instead I was asking (and what fred has done) is giving the wastegate its own little downpipe and just blow it off to the atmosphere. It isn't bad, in fact, from what everyone says, there are only power gains to be had from it, with a trade off of having things be much louder. You have to give it a dump pipe because if you didn't and had it blow off into your engine bay, you would melt all kinds of things....that exhaust gas is real hot.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts