The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
spinnin' !
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally decided to paint my rusted looking calipers. So I went and purchased a Dupli-color kit. Here's a link to it: http://www.duplicolor.com/products/caliper.html . It was really simple to do and cheap. The kit came with almost everything you need. My rear calipers were particularly bad so I used a wire brush (not included)on them to aid in the removal of the surface rust. You also need either a tooth brush or what I used, a tile and grout brush, to help clean the surfaces with the supplied brake cleaner. There is plenty of paint in the kit for 2 coats on all 4 calipers. I only needed to do one coat since I chose the black color. It covered really well in a single coat. I'll see how durable it is and add a second coat later if required. My only complaint was the quality of the brush they included. It continuously lost bristles as I painted the calipers. My suggestion to people would be to get a little better brush. The final outcome looked pretty good considering how bad they looked to begin with. Gotta love Canadian winters.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I used this when I painted my calipers. I applied 3 coats. The first coat was a joke but the second and third coats were pivotal. It looks great. However, be careful what kind of wheel cleaners you use. I used a wheel cleaner and the paint started to run. I guess the chemicals in the cleaner were too harsh. Otherwise, I have had it on for over a month and it still looks great.

·
spinnin' !
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I probably will do more coats this week sometime. The supplied brush I was using got really screwed after doing the 4 calipers with one coat so I kind of had no choice but to stop. Ran out of time and had no other brush. Still looks pretty good already.

·
Got VQ Power?? On Juice??
1,470 Posts
dsuave624 said:
Yup. Go to anyStrauss. It costs $20. They have a great selection of paints. Actually, RS Strauss has a great selection of everything!

Here is a location of their stores:
http://www.straussauto.com/sdaStoreLocater.shtml
dang people still shop at Strauss? i havent been there for ever now. i stoped going there cause the people that work there are stupid and dont know shyt.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
SpankinAltima said:
dang people still shop at Strauss? i havent been there for ever now. i stoped going there cause the people that work there are stupid and dont know shyt.
That is true, but they have a better selection than both Pep Boys and Autozone. And the workers at pep boys and autozone are idiots too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Murray's auto in the Chicago area has the Duplicolor caliper paint for $15.99 Red, Yellow, Black and Silver.
At least the one at Arlington Heights Rd and Golf rds does.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts