The Nissan Club banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
M W S
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had 2 duplicate keys made, and they work on the doors and trunk, but they will start the car. The starter cranks, but the engine will not start.

The owner's manual, page 3-2, states that the Nissan Vehicle Immobilizer system prevents other keys from working. The factory keys have a chip in them.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
good luck getting keys from the dealer. they're upwards of $80...make sure that if you get the keys from nissan, they reprogram *all* your keys. You hafta bring any keys you own to them. another thing to watch out for is that the reprogramming is included in the $80+ you pay.
I'm telling you this cuz my bro almost got dicked. He got 2 functional keys when he bought his 00 Maxima. He requested that they throw in a valet key, which they did. Then he needed another fully functional key so he went back a week later. Found out it was $80 to get another key which include reprogramming. He talked to the sales guy he originally dealth with. The sales guy hooked him up with a key + reprogramming. But my bro didn't bring his other good key. So the one left at home didn't work. Another week passes and my bro brings all 3 keys + valet to the dealership. Dealership says "normally we charge $50 to reprogram, but since we know you, we'll do it for free".
So just make sure you get everything done for a good price.
Jae

·
Registered
460 Posts
If you're planning a aftermarket alarm/remote starter, keep those keys.

Chances are you'll end up cutting the factory key and retrieve the chip and stick it under the dash anyway. Then, any keys will work. Although your imobilizer is no more. (But then again, your aftermarket alarm should have a gas kill switch which will perform the same task)

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,804 Posts
You think that's bad........My GTO had a Key that was the size of a tennis racket and the battery could not be replaced.........it is a sealed unit. When it dies you have to get a new key...which is over 200.00

·
2 low 4 fat hoes!!!
4,035 Posts
ur gonna have to go to the dealer n get a key cut and programmed for u. Those home depot keys are only good for opening the door and trunk like u were able to do. Even a nissan key without programmin will just crank the car but not turn it over.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.