The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a kit on e-bay the other day and it arrived yesterday. It's a sensor with instructions on how to install it. It's supposed to tell my ECU that colder air is coming in advancing the timing thus more power. I asked the seller if this will damage my car and he said "NO". But I'm still skeptical. Has anyone installed this sensor?? If so, please let me know how it works or if it works at all. Mahalo!!

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
doesn't that make your car run rich?
Jae

·
Registered
165 Posts
I saw that sensor on ebay too. I was pretty skeptical too. As too whether or not it will hurt your car I'm no expert so i wouldn't know but if all it does is advance your timing it should be cool. If it really does advance the timing you should get better low end power.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
no, that's 2 diff things they're selling on ebay. 1 advances your timing, the other fools with the air intake temp.
Jae

·
Life, Liberty, Pursuit of
1,320 Posts
advice

my advice: If you really want to use something like this, install it right after a baseline dyno. then dyno again and check to see what it did to your curves and the air fuel ratio. If you don't like what you see take it off and toss it

remember no more than 14.x:1 (lean) and I have no idea how much is too rich.

·
enlarged member
417 Posts
Snolden is right - test it out.
Even if it worked, I'd doubt the gain is significant.

I am not sure that advancing the timing is really going to do you a lot of good, without other mods like camshaft changes.

By the way, a colder intake charge would allow/benefit from more fuel, not more timing, and if the intake charge ISNT really colder, then its probably just gonna make your engine run rich, and likely not make any more power.

More timing will also require premium fuel to avoid detonation. If your kit advances timing enough to cause detonation, the knock sensor will retard the timing, so you definately won't see a gain.

Short answer - there are no magic "horsepower boosters" that cost little or nothing and do no damage. If there were, nitrous, turbos, and superchargers would have never been developed.

Yet another reason to stay off e-bay...

·
Registered
63 Posts
AltimaDude99 said:
sorry...but..hahahahaha...you actually paid money for one of those???

You have to forgive him, some of the people here seem to forget their own past trials and errors and have become ego....well, assholes. Seems pretty common around here, even for my short time visiting this site I see way too much sarcasm and too many inflated egos.

back to the question, it sounds like it will make it run rich, but I kinda get the theory behind it, more gas. but to burn that properly youll need more air flow, so in theory, that sensor with a intake "should" give you a bump in HP. However if you start smelling gas (unburnt exhaust) or notice that its acting "weird" I would uninstall it and ask for my money back.

·
sittin' pretty.
2,427 Posts
what? did you buy one too and realize it didn't work? it was a scam? If you read the auction, it generally says something about how it adds an amazing 20hp to the wheels! thats...well, wrong. you can do the exact same thing for cheaper...even for free, by yourself.

my own past trials and errors? sorry, but I have no past "trials and errors" in such events. My opinion? he probably shouldn't have spent any money on that thing in the first place, it's a waste of money and you see all kinds of auctions like that on ebay for various products, and he probably should have searched here on the forums and asked around to see if this product was worth it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
AltimaDude99 said:
what? did you buy one too and realize it didn't work? it was a scam? If you read the auction, it generally says something about how it adds an amazing 20hp to the wheels! thats...well, wrong. you can do the exact same thing for cheaper...even for free, by yourself.

my own past trials and errors? sorry, but I have no past "trials and errors" in such events. My opinion? he probably shouldn't have spent any money on that thing in the first place, it's a waste of money and you see all kinds of auctions like that on ebay for various products, and he probably should have searched here on the forums and asked around to see if this product was worth it.
Well thats alot nicer than the original "HAHAHAHA"

so you have no "past trials and errors?" so am I to assume that your saying your perfect?:rolleyes:

however I agree with you when you say he should have asked here first, but from what ive seen so far, if he did, the responces would have been something to the effect of flaming him for even asking.

·
Registered
63 Posts
the context of the conversation was tuning cars and buying off of ebay. so like I said.....ELABORATE.

also if by "rediculous" you meant "Ridiculous" then im going to have to say that the way you laughed at a newbie who was asking a question was "rediculous" show a little compassion next time.

PS PM me if you would like a version of spell check emailed to you so that you may use it in the future.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Whoa i didn't think my question would bring out such a heated debate. Anyways, thanks for all your responses. I should've asked first about the sensor but I don't know much about cars and I didn't wanna get laughed at. But I'm trying to learn so any help and advice you guys can offer would be much appreciated.
Mahalo!

Turbosurf - Aloha! and thanks for the response. Hope to see you on the street!!

·
sittin' pretty.
2,427 Posts
thuginz said:
the context of the conversation was tuning cars and buying off of ebay. so like I said.....ELABORATE.

also if by "rediculous" you meant "Ridiculous" then im going to have to say that the way you laughed at a newbie who was asking a question was "rediculous" show a little compassion next time.

PS PM me if you would like a version of spell check emailed to you so that you may use it in the future.
**** off dipshit

1 - 20 of 23 Posts