The Nissan Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running rich from my intake and I need to know how to reset the ECU so that the fuel can re-map itself. . .anyone know how to reset?

Thanks!

·
Banned
1 Posts
or if you are lazy:

Q) How do I reset the computer and what does it do?
A)It depends sometimes it does help the ECU reset itself and recalibrate itself to the environment. Disconnecting the computer is really not resetting the ECU; all the error codes that are present will still be stored. Some people also say you can disconnect the battery wire overnight, sometimes this works but usually the computer will still have everything stored. Why bother when you can reset it in 5 minutes or so. Leave everything connected, do not disconnect any sensor there. To clear all check engine light codes you need to reset the ECU. In the driver's foot well is where the computer is located behind the plastic piece by the gas pedal. Take your key and turn it to the on position. Look on the ECU, you should see a flathead screw on the driver's side. Turn this flathead screw completely clockwise. Wait at least 2 seconds. Now turn it back fully counterclockwise. The check engine light will then blink the trouble code. This will be useless unless you know someone with the FSM. Now start the engine. Now turn the bolt back to the clockwise position for at least 2 seconds again, remember this is while the car is running still. After the 2 seconds turn it back fully counterclockwise. Now kill the engine and then start it up again. That will do it. Now let it idle for a few minutes. The rpm will first start out very high, but the ECU will be rechecking everything over, the rpm will gradually fall. Doing this will clear out the computer getting rid of engine check lights and will sometimes solve problems you may have. It is best to do this when you get new engine mods. -UltimaSE

·
Registered
28,959 Posts
djsassan said:
In the driver's foot well is where the computer is located behind the plastic piece by the gas pedal. Take your key and turn it to the on position. Look on the ECU, you should see a flathead screw on the driver's side. Turn this flathead screw completely clockwise.
i looked behind the gas pedal and there's a plastic piece with a phillips head... is that the same thing? i've got a 2K.

·
14,455 Posts
The ecu is located to the direct right of the gas pedal. It is behind the black plastic cover that hides it. Just pop it off and the ecu will be right there.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:confused:

I just went out to reset the ECU and there's a sticker covering the screw. . .changing the settings is probably gonna void my warranty right?

·
Formerly LordofSearchMod
18,041 Posts
altise said:
:confused:

I just went out to reset the ECU and there's a sticker covering the screw. . .changing the settings is probably gonna void my warranty right?
just tell em another dealer reset the ECU....

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm just gonna reset it. . .I already have 32k miles on my 2000 SE already. . .only 4k left on warranty :(

·
Formerly LordofSearchMod
18,041 Posts
mrdeucie said:
knowing the dealer they'll probably ask you to prove it with a receipt.
probably not... I've never been asked for stuff after I do work at A, and then go to B...

you can always say you shredded it like all your receipts.. not everyone collects dealer receipts..

should.. but most don't.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm alittle obsessive about paperwork. . .I have every service, payment, accessory installed. . .every cent (except for gas) that i have spent on the car is neatly organized in a binder. . .so come trade-in time. . .I've got everything!

·
Formerly LordofSearchMod
18,041 Posts
altise said:
I'm alittle obsessive about paperwork. . .I have every service, payment, accessory installed. . .every cent (except for gas) that i have spent on the car is neatly organized in a binder. . .so come trade-in time. . .I've got everything!
excellent way to go.. unfortunately, many folks don't and since I've yet to see a Nissan Dealer pull up records from a competing dealer, you do have that window of deceit there to get away with stuff... :D

·
Registered
28,959 Posts
Chris said:
The ecu is located to the direct right of the gas pedal. It is behind the black plastic cover that hides it. Just pop it off and the ecu will be right there.

the black piece has a plastic phillips screw there.... it's behind there right?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts