The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Die Trying
8,136 Posts
jwt would have to custom do one for the 97, that's how they did mine. They do an upgrade on a 95, or 96, and you need to use the corresponding year o2 sensor in the rear. Then they send you a wiring diagram for the ecu.

·
Die Trying
8,136 Posts
RODSTEEL said:

JWT DOES NOT MAKE ONE FOR THE 97 LAST I HEARD IT WAS IN DEVELOPMENT
well i have one for my 97. Explain that!

just call them up, ask for Ben, and let him know what you want. They'll do it, i promise. You'll need to get a 95 or 96 ecu from a junkyard. They're about $200 or so.

·
When In Doubt FSCK It !
144 Posts
1fastaltima said:
jwt would have to custom do one for the 97, that's how they did mine. They do an upgrade on a 95, or 96, and you need to use the corresponding year o2 sensor in the rear. Then they send you a wiring diagram for the ecu.
I have been thinking about doing that to my 94, but I was kind of sceptical as to wether or not the increase in performance is great enough to make it worth the cost. How difficult was that to re-install? And out of curiosity, do you remember what the price ran you to get it?

·
Die Trying
8,136 Posts
SubXero said:

I have been thinking about doing that to my 94, but I was kind of sceptical as to wether or not the increase in performance is great enough to make it worth the cost. How difficult was that to re-install? And out of curiosity, do you remember what the price ran you to get it?
price is somethin like $600. If you don't have every bolt on imagineable, and aren't hardcore racer, it's not gonna be worth it. If you are, then you can appreciate the gains given by it.

If you just want some extra kick from the ecu, JET sells something called V-Force. It's a piggyback style chip that wires into the ecu and basically "tricks" the computer into thinking it needs more fuel and air. So, you go faster and it is around $250 or so. IMO, that would be better for the car enthusiest. But for the hardcore racer willing to spend money, JWT is what you need

·
When In Doubt FSCK It !
144 Posts
hmm. Yeah, I have done nothing to my car with the exception of regular maintenance items (ie..distributor) as of current. I am gathering information from other experienced users, such as you, to make the determination of what to mod, and what not. I have run road courses in the past w/ previous vehichles, but not the Altima. Perhaps in the future.
Thank you for the input.

·
Incognito
8,329 Posts
I had the JWT ecu before I had my turbo and I liked it a lot. It's kinda like getting an intake or an exhaust or a header. you can tell the performance gains, but they arent that significant. I would reccomend getting it, it's only 100 bucks to get it upgraded after you have it initially upgraded. It removes the redline limiter (Very nice if you have an automatic), and a couple of other things. it retimes your fuel curve and also your ignition. But just as 1fast said, it'll help a lot after you've upgraded a couple of things, namely I/E/H/Pulley/ign/wires/plugs and then decide to do the ecu. It's only 600 bucks, you detatch your ecu (shouldnt take over 10 minutes, but the ground plate is a pain in the ass to remove), send it overnight or next day to JWT, they keep it for two days max, and next day it back. all in all, your car will be down for a week, or you can pay a core deposit and they'll ship you out one that they already have.

·
Die Trying
8,136 Posts
RODSTEEL said:
IF I DECIDE TO GET THE JWT ECU WITH THE I/E/H/P/IGN HOW MUCH HP SHOULD MY CAR YIELD
a rough est. of 20 hp MAX!!

the plugs and wires won't do shit for hp, but the car will run smoother. The i/h/e all working together should get you near 13-15 hp or so. The pulley doesn't add, but rather it frees up some more power to the wheels. The ecu might be 5 hp, with the other bolt ons.

every car is different, even between exact motors. You might 12, you might get 20. That's why i gave a generous est, but expect about 15 hp to the wheels, for sure! :D

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
AltyDriver said:
1fastaltima, do you have a 97.5? Would you need to get the other ECU if you just had a 97? I thought that everything was the same between 95-97 pretty much, and the ECU changed in 97.5. Just curious thanks!
yup...ecu's are different. I think there's another sensor in the 97.5+ Altimas.
Yes, jwt is working on 2nd gen altima ecus
Get the Jet Chip V-Force. I have it and like it. It pays for itself over time cuz you'll get better fuel economy.
Jae

·
Die Trying
8,136 Posts
yes, i have a 97.5, but i am using an upgraded 95 ecu with 95 o2 sensor. I had to rewire 3 wires in the harness to get the checkengine light off. Other than that, it's a direct swap. JWT can make a 95, or 96, ecu work on a 97-99. I'm almost positive it'll work for the 98 and 99. It has to, i have the 97.5, why wouldn't it?

the thing is, youwill have to buy a 95 or 96 ecu ($200) and then get the upgrade ($600)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.