The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
too cute
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just get in the shower last night and my wife comes running in scared out of her wits. I ask her what's wrong and she tells me she saw a snake. I ask her where, and she tells me it is by the base of the stairs in the basement. So I get out of the shower, dry myself off, put me clothes on, put on some work gloves, grab a flashlight and head down into the basement. So I get down to the bottom step and low and behold, I find my nemesis. He quickly retreats under the aquarium. My wife at first told me it was a small snake, so I thought I would be able to just pick it up and throw it outside. This turned out not to be the case. This snake was a little over four feet long. So I block off the bottom and give it only one course of exit. My opponent for the night is a Northern Black Racer.

A non-poisonous snake but like the name implies it is fast. Normally it will just flee but since I have it cornered it is now nervous and agitated.

My wife is nervous and is of no help to me. I'm on my own. I needed to find a way to flush him out. He's at the advantage in the basement. There's more room for him to move and hide than there is for me to move around. I can't lay on the floor and just try and poke at him. When agitated they like to bite in rapid succession and from what i have heard, can be quite painful. I need to flush him out but also need to be able to kill him while he's fleeing. I have a samurai sword, that should do.

Think, think, think...now what can I use that will flush him out. I got it, pepper spray. So I spray under the opposite end of where my foe lies and sure enough he darts out from under there rather pissed. So fast, I couldn't bring my sword down in time to get him. I wasn't sure how long it would take him to react if there was any.

He flees to one corner to the next, no place where I can swing down my blade of justice. So I spray him a bit more and he moves ever faster. He moves to an area where I cannot reach. He now has a total field advantage. By the time I move the stuff to get to him he will either have bitten me multiple times or, fleed without my notice. So I boxed the area in and let him be.

Is he still there, maybe. I called animal control to see if they can setup a humane trap, but I have yet to receive a returned call from them. So I stand at a current stalemate.

·
NWS Citizen
1,245 Posts
Good attempt my young padawan...but its obvious that your swordsmanship skills are not up to standard yet. Use the Force next time, feel it flowing through you and strike swiftly at your adversary with guided righteousness.

Anyways, I'm surprised you didnt pull a corny joke on your wife when she ran into your shower screaming "snake, snake!" ;)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Haha. You want Animal Control to set up a humane trap after you have sprayed the damn thing with pepper spray and attempted to split it in two with a Samurai sword. Nice try! :lol:

·
too cute
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well considering the amount of sheer crap I'd have to move to get to it, he'd be able to move before i even got to him. The humane trap is just to get rid of him since I don't have any snake traps handy. I thought of maybe just setting up a rat trap with some sort of bait attatched. Like I said earlier, he's at the advantage. Where he's at is where all the boxes and other misc. junk I hauled back from cali along with other stuff my mom hauled back from thailand. Just way to much work to get rid of it. Much rather have someone else come out and deal with it. They still haven't returned my call :angry4:

Personally I think he's just come for reciprocity cuz I ate his kin ten years back. Worst part was it didn't even taste good.

·
NWS Citizen
1,245 Posts
Go to a pet store, buy one of those little cute white live mice that you feed the snakes. Break both its rear legs, and poke one of its eyes out to make it low on the mobility scale. Tie a fishing (with hooks) line to one of its other rear legs and release it in the basement for the night. In the morning, just tug the fishing line and pull the little devil out, and dispatch it swiftly.
Multiple mutilated mice with fishing lines ensure a greater success rate.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts