The Nissan Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of buying a Magnaflow 14862 muffler for my 2.5S but had a few questions. First I don't plan on replacing the down piping, so I was wondering what kind of performance difference I should expect and what kind of sound difference there will be. Also, how much does a muffler installation usually run? Thanks.

·
1st, 3rd, 3rd, 5th Gen
2,266 Posts
cmirza said:
I'm thinking of buying a Magnaflow 14862 muffler for my 2.5S but had a few questions. First I don't plan on replacing the down piping, so I was wondering what kind of performance difference I should expect and what kind of sound difference there will be. Also, how much does a muffler installation usually run? Thanks.
5-7 hp. usually welding on just a muffler costs between 20-40 bux.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds good. I had some stainless steel muffler tips put on a few months ago, but they started rusting inside recently, I think there was weld splatter inside them or something. So i'm going get rid of it all and just do a muffler.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I was thinking about doing the same thing, Just do yourself a favor and do piping from the resonator back. I got qouted at around $80. The stock piping from the resonator is ridiculous.

·
Registered
113 Posts
What would be the difference in volume if I only get the muffler itself or just the piping from the resonator back compared to getting a full cat-back system with the same type of muffler. My car is an auto and it's my daily driver so I don't want to have too much of a drone or that "Rice" popping and crackling when I'm driving around. Just want a nice deep tone to go with the WAI so that the car sounds nice and powerful, even though it's just a 2.5.

·
1,873 Posts
I agree with DesiEGO. While you are getting your exhaust worked on, might as well get custom piping from the resonator back to your muffler. Or better yet get a new resonator and replace the piping from the cat back......

·
I wish I had a car
162 Posts
i started with just a magnaflow and didnt not notice a difference at all, other than it was a deeper tone. it is not louder by 1 bit than stock. I went with 2.25 piping from the cat back, no rez, and its louder, but very tolerable. as far as performance gains it is nothing u will be able to feel.

·
Bad Boys are Back!!!
12,088 Posts
Mike Hock said:
What would be the difference in volume if I only get the muffler itself or just the piping from the resonator back compared to getting a full cat-back system with the same type of muffler. My car is an auto and it's my daily driver so I don't want to have too much of a drone or that "Rice" popping and crackling when I'm driving around. Just want a nice deep tone to go with the WAI so that the car sounds nice and powerful, even though it's just a 2.5.
It will give more room for the air to blow out and much more efficiently thus resulting in addt'l hp.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea, I think I'll just go with the muffler. If the sound is just deeper, not louder, that sounds perfect. My car is leased so I'm don't want to dump a ton of money into it. Thanks for all the help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts