The Nissan Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
It's Paid For.
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ECU keeps giving me a trouble code for the charcoal canister and/or EGR canister control solenoid. Has anyone had a similar code? What fixed it? Also, can you clean out the canister and "refill" it with new charcoal?

·
Registered
510 Posts
SuperAlty said:
My ECU keeps giving me a trouble code for the charcoal canister and/or EGR canister control solenoid. Has anyone had a similar code? What fixed it? Also, can you clean out the canister and "refill" it with new charcoal?
how is the car running, poorly?? Does it smell funny? What year is your car? I just picked up a Haynes manual yesterday ($11) and it thoroughly explains how to inspect the EGR system. You might want to start with the sensors related to the system. test each one w/ a voltage meter and/or apply voltage to the solenoid to see if it operates (should hear a distinct 'click'). you can get a tester for like $5. this kind of troubleshooting you need some patience though.

Good luck.

·
It's Paid For.
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sometimes the car idles like a tank, and it seems to have no power under 2500rpm. The egr valve still moves up and down, and all corresponding vacuum tubes are new. But if the canister is bad would that affect power output?

·
Registered
510 Posts
SuperAlty said:
Sometimes the car idles like a tank, and it seems to have no power under 2500rpm. The egr valve still moves up and down, and all corresponding vacuum tubes are new. But if the canister is bad would that affect power output?
It's hard to tell. Maybe your car is not venting/purging gas fumes properly. That might be sending funky signals to the ecu and giving you the wrong air/fuel mixture. I don't think you can refill the canister - you'd probably have to get a new one but my feeling is there's something deeper to it. emission-related problems are difficult to diagnose w/out the right equipment. My suggestion is you take it to any station certified in testing emissions.

·
It's Paid For.
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We do not have state emissions testing, so there are very few places in Central Florida who would have equipment. I changed all of the vacuum hoses around the Egr, and now the car idles at 1700rpm, so I will have to turn that back down. That could've been part of the problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.