The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I'm going to need your expert advice.

I'm installing the stillen header in my 97 Altima and the mechanic is informing me that he needs to cut/remove the EGR tube.
I'm not sure what this is and I have read anywhere that cutting a tube is required when a new header is installed.

Need advise? Is the mechanic doing something wrong?
Or should I buy a new EGR pipe - $40

Thanks

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright. Thanks Peterson for the help.

To clear up some confusion, this is what happened.

The mechanic is Korean so he speaks very little english. After some translation help, I was informed that the EGR tube is clogged.

I'm going to let him cut it to remove the clog and
let him weld it back together.

I'll replace the tube myself in the future, since it doesn't look very difficult. Peterson, can you confirm my assumption?

Appreciate it.

Again, thanks for all the help!

·
My Alti got da last laugh
1,546 Posts
without crows feet. it is a bitch. and on manuals it is more of a bitch even with the crows feet. i wd40 the shit out of mine thenusing crows feet at the other end because that is what fits the best in that tiny space near the thrttle body. on a manual i hade to bend a pipe going by the thrttle body to fit the crows feet. but the hardest part is manuevering the bitch in. mine i got the third try. my friends, it took 45 min. and bending the egr slightly because a bend in it kept hitting the top of a bolt on the ka block

·
Erect Member
18,130 Posts
i removed the radiator, got a medium sized crescent wrench and removed it not from the tube, but from the intake manifold. was much easier that way. the radiator really didnt have to come out.

·
dismember
11,347 Posts
some mechanics is too lazy to do the wrenchin required to remove the egr properly, so they just tell u they need to cut it and charge u more, then they can easily remove the egr fittin once the old header is out.

·
Import Tech.
4,670 Posts
Just get a new one , I had to cut mine off because it was rusted on ... There is NO way it can be cloged ...and you will never be able to weld it air tight unless you are a very very good stainess welder !!!

·
Retired Turbo Slut
333 Posts
i tried welding it back together......not a good time...very thin tubing......i bit the bullet an bought a new one

if you unbolt the water distrubtion block its a lot easier to "snake" out the tube

·
maybe another alty soon?
1,509 Posts
I just bought a new one.. $25 from Nissan. It's not that hard to install either, just takes some time..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts