The Nissan Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

In need of your opinions on this. My car is currently at the local mechanic getting an inspection and estimate, but want your input to be more well-informed.

Car: Nissan Altima 2008 Coupe (non-v6) with 105000+ miles

Issues: First, power windows and locks were working intermittently about two weeks ago. Today, hazards and turn signals went out (dash indicators still work, but nothing on the external lights), then power trunk went out). Keyless FOBs do not work, so I have to manually open the door with the key. What is strange is if I sit on the driver's seat, sometimes everything works (wiring issue under the seat?). TPS sensor was also acting a bit strange (tires were fully inflated, but TPS indicated low tire pressure).

Current info I found: Did some google and other forum research and came up with the following:
BCM issue?
Turn signal relay?
Other electrical issue...possible short somewhere in the electrical wiring?

What I need from the forum experts:
What do you think is the issue?
How much will this cost?
Are these issues an indicator of future car issues?

Any info is greatly appreciated. I usually do car maintenance myself...brakes...tune-up...oil changes...minor engine repairs (gaskets)...but electrical wiring and such is something I do not have much knowledge in...again the car is at the mechanic getting a checkup and estimate...but I want to go in knowing as much as I can...

Thanks,

Mark

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Definitely sounds BCM related (BCM incorporates the turn relay etc.). Not the most robust feature of these cars either.

Everything you need to know about the BCM is here. Make sure all of the malfunctions are controlled by it, and I would definitely have a look at it, the connector and possibly replace it.

Used BCMs run $50-100 on fleaBay.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The mechanic reached out to me with a diagnosis and estimate. He said it is the wiring harness that runs under the driver side area under the driver seat. Apparently some of the wiring is pinched and damaged because it is being pinched under the driver seat rails. Said he can replace the entire harness and repair the issue for 210 parts and and labor included. I am guessing this is much less than what the dealer would charge.

Any input?

Thanks.

·
2010 2.5 SL
588 Posts
1) I've never heard that wiring under the seat is a common problem. But, I'm not a mechanic.
2) Some of your symptoms do not strike me as being part of that wiring harness. Pretty sure driver's door lock is before wiring goes under seat, front signal lights as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Car was fixed today by a different mechanic. First mechanic was not comfortable with diassembling the seat and possibly cutting through the upholstery.

The hazard and turn signal issue was due to a blown out fuse.

The power windows, locks, and seat malfunction was due to the power switch wires under the seat becoming bare due to the seat rails. They took out the seat, fixed the wires, and then re-routed the wiring under.

In all was about 300 dollars. Would have attempted to do on my own, but I don't have the time to spare right now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have this same issue on a 2016 Altima. I hope I can fix it myself as I have no money to pay a mechanic. I ll try to remove the seat and pray if a wiring harness has been pinched it should be visible

1 - 8 of 8 Posts