The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received a notice in the mail from Nissan.
They say that due to manufacturing irregularity that the ESCL in some vehicles may malfunction preventing the car from starting.

They say they will replace the ESCL assembly with an electronic steering column box.
This means that the steering wheel will no longer lock when the vehicle is parked or turned off.
They say it is not necessary as the car is also equipped with an ant-theft immobilizer.

If the ESCL was not needed then why did they design the car with this feature in the first place?
Looks like they want to remove an extra level of security without replacing it with anything else.

What do you all make of this?

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
I disabled mine 2 years ago and have never looked back. I would highly recommend you take them up on the offer...or use the DIY solution which is to remove the Steering Lock fuse from the IPDM in the engine compartment WHILE the engine is running, this leaves it in a permanent unlock position.

FWIW, '07-'09 were the only years to have the ESCL, yet the L32A platform was essentially the same (4thGen) through to 2012.

So keep your ESCL if you like, but one day soon you may find yourself getting a $$ tow from who knows where because it jammed and now your car is a giant paperweight.... Unplugging won't help. Removal won't help. You literally need a functioning module to get the engine started...and that module runs about $800 give or take.

See my .sig for a link to a thread where I helped another member through this nightmare

·
6,365 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Doug.
I will have the dealer do it seeing that they offered.
They fitted a new CVT a few months ago that's now suffering from the low speed jerk/hesitation as addressed by NTB10-121b so I hope to be able to get both sorted out at the same time.

·
2008 2.5S Sedan w/CVT
253 Posts
I wonder what they do exactly for the ESCL work. Wonder if they just take out the fuse? Let us know :)

For the jerk/hesitation bulletin, it'll probably be YMMV whether the dealer wants to do this under warranty. When I approached my dealership a few years ago about it, they refused. The basic warranty is/was up, but the CVT for those years got the 10-year/120,000 mile (200,000 km) warranty, so that's the angle you'd probably have to push.

·
6,365 Posts
Suspect they grind snap-off mounting screws, remove mechanical unit and place it on the shelf as an $800 part :) Replace with a box with a couple of wire shunts inside.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The actual notification says

"They will replace the ESCL assembly with an electronic steering column box."

Car goes in tomorrow, I'll report back on the jerk issue and the TSB.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They are doing the TSB under warranty. I can reproduce the jerkiness it at very slow highway stop start speeds whereas the TSB talks about speeds between 10 and 45 Mph.
They said we can retest afterwards to see if it worked. They are doing the ESCL and oil service at the same time.

·
6,365 Posts
FWIW I got my ESCL notification by email today.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's funny! However you are way ahead of the game. Are you still going to take them up on their offer to remove it properly?
Looks like I will be getting a new engine torque mount as part of the TSB fix.
The value of the CVT work they have done on the car in the last 6 months is almost the same as the current value of it!
I'm not complaining though. I plan to drive it until it's no longer economical to repair.

·
6,365 Posts
That's funny! However you are way ahead of the game. Are you still going to take them up on their offer to remove it properly?
Looks like I will be getting a new engine torque mount as part of the TSB fix.
The value of the CVT work they have done on the car in the last 6 months is almost the same as the current value of it!
I'm not complaining though. I plan to drive it until it's no longer economical to repair.
Glad you are not complaining :) I had an '03 SE for a decade that I bought for about $25K @ 18 months of age, and between the rear subframe recall and the new V6 and precats they put into it under warranty that was about $10k worth of parts.

Still debating on whether I will bother or not doing the ESCL recall, the fuse pull has been working fine for me. Might go see if they'll just give me the 'box' so I can check it out.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just got the car back.
After the ESCL campaign there is still a slight whir after the start button is pressed but now there is no clunk as the steering wheel unlocks.
The CVT TSB was also done and so far no hesitation at all. This included a new trorque mount and a reprogramming of the CVT.

·
6,365 Posts
^^ So generally happy?

·
'09 Altima 6speed manual
50 Posts
Took my 09 in for the ESCL recall too. Before the recall I had pulled the fuse, like dougmac mentioned, with no problems, except sometimes it would take a couple seconds to recognize the key and turn on.

Took it in for the recall, cos why not. Didn't notice a difference afterwards because I forgot to put the 10A fuse back, Lol.

So, after I put the fuse back in, it makes the old "err" or "Whir" sound when you turn on the car, but it recognizes the key instantly now. Pretty happy with it. Been a while since I've been on the forums. Glad to be back

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
After having received the ESCL letter some time ago and having the work done a week ago, today I received the safety recall email!

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
The solution in this case is likely to find the correct place to put that post in, you seem somewhat confused by the thread subject matter here.

You didn't read anyway, as the fix is clearly in the thread but you have to READ to get it.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
The solution in this case is likely to find the correct place to put that post in, you seem somewhat confused by the thread subject matter here.

You didn't read anyway, as the fix is clearly in the thread but you have to READ to get it.
One Post wonders, like @Cesv, are not looking for "the solution" to a problem, they are spammers who create an account, look up older threads, then make a nonsensical comment.

In most cases, they are never heard from again.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
There you go and I almost asked the poster same question. In truth is not truth dimension nothing has to make sense any longer................I am because I ain't.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts