The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day,
My dashboard emergency brake light stays on all the time regardless of the handbrake position. I've troubleshoot the handbrake switch and it works fine. Have also troubleshoot the low brake fluid switch in the master cylinder and that turns no faults found. The only code on the car is for ABS right rear speed sensor which I'm going to replace once it arrives.
ECU/PCM had no DTCs stored and check engine light is not lit.

If anyone can kindly assist and advise on further action. Thank you!

2004 Maxima 62k original miles Auto SE 3.5

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
7,024 Posts
Let's wait and see what happens once you have 4 functioning sensors again.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dougmac, thanks for quick reply. I have swapped a confirmed working, clean ABS/VSS and a hub assy as a set to the right rear. ABS sys still faults RIGHT REAR SPEED SENSOR C1105 and dash emergency brake light is on.

What are your thoughts? Thanks again!

·
7,024 Posts
Which exact hub did you replace with...some come with the ABS sensor ring, others don't.

If you have the correct hub p/n with the ABS ring, and the correct sensor, and it's still problematic, then it's almost certainly a wire harness/connector issue at that point. They can get damaged internally but still look ok from the outside.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have actually swapped a hub from the working left side to the right. Both have induction ring magnets - ABS / VDC. I have also picked up 3 used VSSs/ABS sensors from local salvage yard. I have inspected them in detail and all return specified OHMs upon verification. I also get approximately 13.5 Volts to both VSSs on the rear harnesses.
I'm stumbled...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, just realized I'm in Altima section. Forum Admin kindly move this thread to 2004 - 2008 6th Gen Maxima section, please and thank you.

·
7,024 Posts
Go through the testing steps 6 and 7 starting at page BRC-31

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
d0ugmac1, thank you so much for such a resource! I did as you suggested and I believe to rectify the problem a replacement of ABS actuator and electronic control unit is warranted according to the trouble diagnosis.
Cheers, and thank you again!

·
7,024 Posts
Do let us know how all this turns out! Hope it was a productive 3 days on the forums :) Stay safe out there!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Good day! I was able to read a part number of the ABS actuator electronic control unit: 476608Y010
Question: Does the part number have to match or 476608Y020, as an example, is compatible? Please advise. Thank you!
I'm aware the replacement unit must have ABS with VDC. I couldn't cross reference the exact number to find applicability.

·
7,024 Posts
No, those are pretty specific :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update: The issue with Right Rear WSS has been rectified. There are no DTCs on any of the ECUs. Went for a test drive - all is well.
Unfortunately the brake warning lamp on the dashboard is still lit with handbrake off and brake fluid master to full with no leaks anywhere and very firm brake pedal.
Any thoughts on that light? Thank you!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BTW: Entire brake system is bled and checked for leaks and pressure, there was no need to replace abs actuator electronic control unit as the fault was with the positioning of the WSS on the RR.

·
7,024 Posts
what was the issue with the WSS...rust/corrosion, snapped bolt, ???

As far as I know the brake light is only lit via the handbrake switch or the fluid level switch. Is it possible one of those is unplugged or damaged?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The corrosion on RR wheel knuckle at hub deformed white plastic WSS insert and push/bend WSS at pigtail ever so slightly out of alignment causing ABS DTC.
Now as for brake warning light. I have troubleshot and rang the warning light circuit on handbrake and low fluid level switch with a multimeter. I've also rang the instrument cluster/combination meter connector as per BRC and DI PDFs. All is well with wiring for continuity and GND.
Could the problem be with UMCU unified meter control unit?
Thanks so much!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also, when I picked up the vehicle, the fuel gauge had swong 360 degrees clockwise. The gauge needle was hitting the black resting position peg and dropping or pointing down with ignition switch in off position. I have opened the cluster and carefully swang the needle back counterclockwise and the performed combination meter self-test. All is well and fuel needle is reading correct fuel level and now works perfectly. I'm not sure what happened prior to my ownership of this vehicle with guage cluster. Everything, every guage and light bulb is working fine except for brake warning light. I'm not certain what exactly is the problem but as mentioned before UMCU might have a bug.

·
7,024 Posts
I think you've done everything you can. At this point it might be worth paying a dealer to hook up their Consult diagnostic system and see if they determine if the cluster is defective or not. Acquiring, installing and programming the cluster will be more expensive.

·
7,024 Posts
From the below there are 4 things that can make the light go on:
1. alternator (but if charge light goes out, that's not it)(
2. brake fluid level switch
3. hand brake switch
4. VDC unit (part of ABS control module?)

Since you've verified 1,2 and 3...it must be 4.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts