The Nissan Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to take my emission test today since my test pipe/resonator came in today, and I want to install it. so i figured I would get the e-check before i replace the cat. but, I failed the NOx test.

their limit is 910.0 and I read 1685.6

according to the info in the pamphlet, they say that could be caused by too high a combustion temp. would adjusting my timing be enough to change this so I pass, or should I try something else?

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Damn, that's high. I would check fuel delivery and/or EGR. You don't want to put a bandaid on the problem by adjusting the timing. There's something seriously amiss with your engine.

·
Banned
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dont forget, I have a header, and the O2 sensor only reads 1 cyl, so I dont know if that maybe a problem. if it is, I may relocate the sensor to the 2nd O2 bung until I do the e-check then put it back where its suppose to be. but I dont know if this is really an issue of not

·
The Dude
8,837 Posts
nox is created by high combustion temps. this is why we have egr systems. It sounds to me like your egr valve is not functioning. do they put your car on the rollers where you live? are they "sniffing" the tail pipe, or plugging into your obd plug? the egr is designed to open only at cruising speeds and add exhaust gasses to the mix, in turn creating less burn, and lowering temps. I hope this all makes sense. get yourself a vacuum pump and a haynes manual and test your system. good luck

·
Banned
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did reconnect the EGR when I installed the header. and if i have the car running, and push the plunger, it makes the car stall out, so I think its working correctly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts