The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
I'm The Yellow Member
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a CAI, greddy cat-back, pulley, no cat, and about to get a header... Then I was thinking about engine build up. Does any one know what they do in that engine build up? Daunttless from http://www.afterdark-tuning.com/ can do one for 1300.. this will include rebuild, overbore, port and polish, higher compression, headers, remapped ecu, larger injectors, pulleys, and cams are available at an additional cost. He also mentioned that if I do any major mods to an angine, will do a 5speed tranny swap for $700.. I'm more interested in engine build-ups. Which parts and what would be the best for our 24KADEs..? And how much hp can I get out of it? And I also can't decide if I should go 5speed or VB and TC upgrage :confused: :confused: :confused: help??? And I also heard about maximumtuning... if they do quality work, I will not hesitate to travel to NY since I used to live there before.. :confused:

·
Turbo Motorhead
3,466 Posts
Wow...that's cheap dollars for an engine build-up as you have mentioned. Question: High compression usually means all motor, Low compression equal turbo, which direction are you planning on ending up at? There's a lot of money involved with either project.

·
Turbo Motorhead
3,466 Posts
Look at pistons at 10.5:1 c/r, a set of forged connecting rods with pins, rings, a 20 to 40 overbore at a minimum, and maybe some head work. Shawn can tell you more when he comes along.

·
I'm The Yellow Member
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ERyNN29 said:
i thought u were sellin ur car.. didnt u make a post about it a few days ago :confused:
I will loose too much $$ on it if I sell it, so I'm keeping it :D

Jeff at maximumtuning does engine rebuilds as well and he charges $1,700 for it, but he still hasn't replied to my email what exactly he does..

·
Incognito
6,134 Posts
those prices are right along the lines of my machinist prices, but he's leaving out parts, and a whole lotta other stuff, besides the 1700 for all the port and polish, bore and stuff...

·
I'm The Yellow Member
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cthunder said:
those prices are right along the lines of my machinist prices, but he's leaving out parts, and a whole lotta other stuff, besides the 1700 for all the port and polish, bore and stuff...
What parts is he leaving out?

Which parts do I want to be on the safe side?

·
Incognito
6,134 Posts
pistons, rings, rods, cams, cam gears, blah blah blah... you really need to ask more questions besides pricing. like what he plans on doing? are parts included? is this a quote? I have a big feeling you're gonna get suckered into a lot of unnecessary stuff.

·
I'm The Yellow Member
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cthunder said:
blah blah blah...
what is the other stuff I might need/want to go along with the engine build up?

cthunder said:
I have a big feeling you're gonna get suckered into a lot of unnecessary stuff.
what kind of stuff?

sorry but I'm a newbie with engine build ups :confused2

·
Golden Member
1,834 Posts
what he means is this:

everyones opinion of an engine rebuild is different...

for example, engines u commonly buy at a mechanic as a swap in 'reco' unit... are crap ! basically the strip the head replace piston rings, head gasket slap the head back on and call that a rebuild for around 900 AUD ! total waste of money because parts have worn out, and the new rings wont last long.. the engine will shit itself in sort order..... this is exactly why peeps when they buy recod parts to replace failure items, they often run into the exact problem they just corrected not long ago !! <- the problem is they didnt... !!!

how many miles is your motor?

from what it sounds like, your build up is cheap cos he offered to 'raise compression' u can do this in many ways.... if its suspeciously cheap - i'll bet he will strip the head and block a bit and mayb fit a thin gasket to make it around 9.5-9.7:1 or some crap... this is total BS.... the ONLY way to raise compression/ properly rebuild a enigne is to fit BRAND NEW (high compression) pistons... these are after all, a WEAR item... new rings wont help rejunivate them ! thing is they cost around 1000 AUD part alone !! so u see why a 900 dollar rebuild id BS....

in my mind (depending on milage) u need:
full valve and seat recut
new springs/retainers
new cams (if high miles)
new pistons
and head work...

parts alone NOT including labor for the mech to disassemble and put things back together.... this will run you around $4000 AUD alone... or around half that in USD c.$2000

cheers

joe

·
Music Selecta'
566 Posts
Yo I've been talking to this guy. check out what he says is he full of shit or not? I've been wondering myself. I don't know much about engin rebuilds myself....

Me: I May be interested in this, what all has been done to it?
200hp KA24DE - $3000

Daunttless: Rebuild, overbore, higher compression, port and polish, headers, intake, ecu reprogram, larger injectors, pulleys, and cams upon request and additional cost.
Enjoy your day!

Me: Is the bottom end blueprinted and balanced? I want a ka24de that is buit like a brick shit house. How many miles are on it, and what is the additional cost w/cams? what (brand) products are you using for cams headers pistons etc... are they 4:2:1 headers? let me know. thanks.

P.S. How much will you give me for my current ka24? If nothing do you know where I can sell it for the most $? it has 95k on it.

Dauntless: It's balanced, I haven't decided in blueprinting. We build them solid, if you want it built with forged everything it will cost a bit more. There are 0 miles, we rebuild them. The cost of the cams depends on what cams you want. We use any brand you want for the cams, we use our own custom stuff for everything else. Yes, they're equal length 4:2:1 headers, we might use hotshot, haven't decided. We give 100-200 for KAs. Enjoy your day!

Me: I am trying to get as much HP and keep it natural. However if I got this particular engin and then decided to turbo it, could it handle it? You see I don't know that much about "internal" engin stuff to much. All I know is I would rather make my car fast N/A than with turbo. Is that a wise choice? Do you warranty your engins? what good would getting everything forged do? you mean to tell me you build your own pistons and stuff? or do you buy those from someone else? I read that JWT makes 2 types of cams, 1 for N/A and one for turbo, I hear they are crappy at idle though, and make a lot of noise. I have done just about every bolt on mod I can, and now want to work on my engin. I don't know what the wisest choice would be though, I figure it would be cheaper to just drop an already built up engin in rather that try to build up the one I already have. IM trying to get power but keep it an everyday driver, what would you suggest? thanks

Dauntless: The high HP N/A engine cannot be turbo'd, it would blow up. Unfortunately it's either a lot of N/A power or a turbo, you can't have both. Forged stuff would make everything lighter, produce a bit more power, and allow you to run nitrous if you so desired. We have pistons custom made to our specifications, I don't make them myself, but they're designed by us. We can do cams as well, but they wouldn't be JWT unless you wanted them to be. We can still maintain a nice idle for you, as well as daily driveability. In the end, it depends on how much power you want. Give me a horsepower goal and I'll let you know what the best road is. Enjoy your day!

Me: I like the forged idea, that way I can go with NOS if i desire later. I think 200HP - 250HP is prolly a good goal. A lot of N/A is preferred over turbo. I would want cams but with a smooth drive and idle. (I drive a lot!) I don't care about the brand of cams as long as they work well. And as long as the engin is bulletproof, I only want to have to do this once.
So you build these anytime, just when I place the order? Or do you only have 1 for sale? Would it be cheaper to go this rout or to have you build up the one I already have? Where are you located?

Thanks again

Dauntless: I'm located in Cedar Rapids, IA ( Iowa ) 52402. As far as building yours up, it may or may not be cheaper, because you'd get charged for everything if we have to pull the engine, take it apart, etc. It might be cheaper for you to sell your engine or your parts to another NICO guy, because we cut a serious discount to provide everything we provide for only 3000 dollars. Most places charge 5000-10000 dollars for a similar motor. I personally think that's outrageous. We can do some mild street cams for some bonus horsepower. The forged parts would be extra, but there wouldn't be an extra labor charge. We will have some built, but not with all forged internals, so if you want those we'd build one up to your specs. :) Enjoy your day!!

·
Golden Member
1,834 Posts
hrmm forged internals sounds good !

if everything ends up getting replaced ie cams, valves (at least re-cut) dont forget seats !, and pistons, then that would be good...

and the crank rebalanced with new bearings...

tho he didnt mention anything about valves, ask about that !

the low down on cams..

basiclaly if u want stock-like idle and good low end power, forget 250hp n/a ! wild cams will lose u low end power, will idle rough and consume more fuel.

mild cams may improve high end power (c.10hp over stock only, no more i rekon) without hurting low end and smooth idle...

u generally cant have both...

this is why people turbo... u get huge torque, esp low end if u tune it that way, as well as huge top end hp...

u also asked about turboing a worked n/a motor... answer is no because of the compression / cams u are running.... High compression and cams with overlap are a must for a hot na motor, and definately no good for turbo.

cheers

joe

·
Incognito
6,134 Posts
russman said:
what is the other stuff I might need/want to go along with the engine build up?
dude, you're killing me here... there are hundreds of thousands of working parts within your engine. you open up your block, you should get new gaskets for everything. you get new pistons, you need new rings. you hone the block too much, you'll need larger rings. you scratch a valve, new valve. you should get a new oil pump if you have high mileage... etc. I cant tell you specifically what you need, I dont own your car, I dont drive it. but you really really really need to do some research before you do this. and I highly suggest this to everyone who plans on doing a full build, RESEARCH AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!!! look at specs, talk to JWT techs, Nismo techs, Stillen techs, hell e-mail me, you really need to know specifically what goes into your engine. just having a machinist say, yeah, I think I dumped 11:1 comp pistons in there, and you later find out they're 8:1, you got yourself a huge problem. Again, Im worried for anyone who gets an engine build and has no idea what or how they're getting themselves into, just because some guy throws words like forged rods, and cams, you shouldnt jump on their shit. I suggest you specifically find out the company of every part they want to order from, and research taht company. this is a large amount of money that will go into your car, it should not be taken lightly at all. when I first started researching my engine 3 years ago, I had no clue what was what, now, 3 years later, I can practically tell you how to build my engine online. that is research, not just looking up a spec or throwing a couple of questions out to a tech. this might just be me being a schitzo, but I am picky and fickle on who touches my car.

T

·
0 Posts
hmm..interesting..i always thought that if you were gonna go turbo or run N2O it was best to get internals fully done first

·
Golden Member
1,834 Posts
^^ is that a question or statement? umm... yeah, u're not wrong...tho there are totally different internals that go into a turbo as opposed to a na motor

compression being the most obvious...

T

·
0 Posts
ok well if you do a build up..can't you run turbo and N2O together?also i already have a port and polished head with a valve job just sitting in my garage, now is it worth buying all new pistons,rings,rods,and cams if i want to run nitrous or eventually go turbo because i dont wanna wear down my factory stuff and eventually have the car run like garbage. my car is already pretty strong with a nice amount of mods so i just wanna make sure im not wasting my money..also my car is a daily driver if that helps

·
Incognito
6,134 Posts
^ I wouldnt suggest a build up if your car is your only Daily driver. or if it's going to be your daily driver. my car is borderline streetable and is my daily driver. if you are happy with the performance that you are getting from just bolt ons, there is no need for a build up.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts