The Nissan Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My "Check Engine" light came on yesterday and I took my car to the auto parts store and they said it was the cam sensor. They said it meant that the intake cam was too advanced. Said that the timing needed adjusting. Is this something serious that needs to be addressed immediately or can I wait on this? Thanks

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
The camshaft position sensor fails on these cars all the time--so not necessary a timing issue. What specific code did it report?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Cam Sensor

The camshaft position sensor fails on these cars all the time--so not necessary a timing issue. What specific code did it report?
I don't recall the exact code, but it may have been P0340 or P0345, but I am not certain.

Since my vehicle is 12 years old, has 96k miles, and I am not sure what sensor it is, can I change the 3 sensors that are related to this issue? Thanks for your reply.

PS: The car is running great. Since I've owned the vehicle I have only used regular unleaded gas. Last weekend I filled up the car with super unleaded gas for the first time. Could this have affected the sensors?

·
6,365 Posts
I think the code will tell you which bank is throwing the code. If the car is running fine you don't have a slipped chain issue. If you have the 2.5 you have one cam and one crank position sensor, the 3.5 has two cam sensors and one crank, and the Nissan recommendation is to replace all if one needs replacing. Make sure you get the updated sensor with the silver metal cylinder part and not the black plastic rectangular sensor.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Replacing Sensors

I think the code will tell you which bank is throwing the code. If the car is running fine you don't have a slipped chain issue. If you have the 2.5 you have one cam and one crank position sensor, the 3.5 has two cam sensors and one crank, and the Nissan recommendation is to replace all if one needs replacing. Make sure you get the updated sensor with the silver metal cylinder part and not the black plastic rectangular sensor.
Hi Dougmac1, My car is a 3.5L. Should all three sensors have the silver metal cylinder part? Also, are they difficult to replace? I am willing to give it a shot. Also, what brand of parts do you recommend?

·
6,365 Posts
I only recommend stuff I have bought and used, and I haven't had to do these sensors yet.

Hitachi makes the OEM updated part

All I can say is this forum and others are littered with posts about people trying to find the right combination of sensors, and most have had success with oem...which naturally cost more.

Front bank is pretty easy, rear bank is apparently more difficult to do because you're working blind. There are posts and videos out there on how to do this efficiently.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I promise you they DON'T make these sensor in metal.

Only one was I able to get in metal, and that was for the inside/firewall head.

I checked every part number, and interchange, every website, every Ebay ad, every different parts store, and Rock Auto, even the oem Nissan parts are ALL plastic.

The one sensor I was able to buy in metal was Hitachi, but I can't remember the part number, but I think its safe to say that if you order it, it will be the metal sensor.................

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I only recommend stuff I have bought and used, and I haven't had to do these sensors yet.

Hitachi makes the OEM updated part

All I can say is this forum and others are littered with posts about people trying to find the right combination of sensors, and most have had success with oem...which naturally cost more.

Front bank is pretty easy, rear bank is apparently more difficult to do because you're working blind. There are posts and videos out there on how to do this efficiently.
Thanks dougmac1, I appreciate all your help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts