The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody tell me if an engine cover with holes in it is better for the performance of the car. Cause I think that cover holds a lot heat which is no good right? Can anybody tell me if somebody is selling professional made engine covers with lots of holes so heat can be relesed for our 04 Altys V6

·
Registered
445 Posts
That cover is like that for good reasons I suppose. Now if you get another cover with holes or something, it might not be the intended cover anymore :) About the heat, we shouldn't worry cause all car engines get hot to a certain point like they need to. For example cars after being run for 20 min will run more stably and smoothly than first start cold in the morning, agree? For alty, Nissan already calculated the heat amount. So no worry.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I cut mine a while ago which you can see here......and yes it lets the heat out so its not "trapped"........if you don't beleive me, take your cover off immediately after driving and feel the heat, now mine gets out easier

·
Registered
101 Posts
I think it is there for 2 reasons:

1) *most importantly* It is there for aesthetic purposes
2) It is just one more thing to deter do-it-yourselfers from going at it, so you take your car to the stealership for repairs.

I seriously doubt it plays any role in heat control or performance.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Groggy23 said:
Wow, thats pretty tight Turk, good job!
Thanx man. Not a great job IMO, I kinda rushed it.....I know it has no performance addititive but I just really like the look of it since my GTP cover I had done the same but on them it helped because the cover trapped heat on the blower. Just something different, the Nissan guys really digged it when I got my oil changed last week ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Nice job with the Dremmel...my 05 is my first car to have one of these covers as well. I'm still getting used to not be able to see whats under the hood. After all the years of tinkering on my 70's muscle cars whenever the hood was open, it is hard to look at just a black plastic cover! I guess they just want it hide that little 4 cylinder and to keep your hands out of there.

Gone are the days you could do much of the tuning work yourself
I wish I still had my 4 sp 1968 / 383 CI Roadrunner. Now that was a FAST car.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
fr0mastaj said:
I thought they just designed it for looks :dunno:. Don't all cars have engine covers?
my 4th gen maxima didnt have one

1 - 20 of 30 Posts