The Nissan Club banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Yesterday me and some of my buddies installed Stillen Headers, Catco Hi-flow catalytic converter, and Greddy Exaust on my 1995 SE. We got everything installed without having to modify the header down pipe or Greddy exaust. All I had to do was cut about 2 inches off of the universal catco converter piping. On the stock system a O2 sensor was going into the catalytic converter and into the stock header. On the new system the O2 sensor is going into the header and the header downpipe, and I don't know if this is creating a problem. I installed it and drove around for awhile, then the engine check light came on, and the RPMs were very erratic. So today I reset the ECU and the light went off and the RPMs settled down. Then I drove around for about a half hour and then the light came back on, but the RPMs are still doing fine. If anyone has had this problem or knows what I should try, any help would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
yaggi482 said:
Hey everyone,

Yesterday me and some of my buddies installed Stillen Headers, Catco Hi-flow catalytic converter, and Greddy Exaust on my 1995 SE. We got everything installed without having to modify the header down pipe or Greddy exaust. All I had to do was cut about 2 inches off of the universal catco converter piping. On the stock system a O2 sensor was going into the catalytic converter and into the stock header. On the new system the O2 sensor is going into the header and the header downpipe, and I don't know if this is creating a problem. I installed it and drove around for awhile, then the engine check light came on, and the RPMs were very erratic. So today I reset the ECU and the light went off and the RPMs settled down. Then I drove around for about a half hour and then the light came back on, but the RPMs are still doing fine. If anyone has had this problem or knows what I should try, any help would be great.

Thanks
I would be interested in knowing this as well, because Im fixing to install the same setup on my 95 GXE. Just waiting on the intake to get here.

·
25,204 Posts
If you took the O2 out of the cat, and replaced it in the header downpipe, you're going to throw a code. The 2nd sensor is getting the same reading as the first sensor, so it thinks the cat isn't doing anything. It compares the 2 sensors, and the 2nd should have a lower concentration of emission crap, and if it's reading before the cat, it won't see any difference.

You might need to tap into the cat and put the 2nd O2 in there. Or maybe after the cat. But from what I gathered from your post, you have the sensors pretty close to each other, on the same side of the cat.

·
Jr. Lord Of Search
3,371 Posts
Peterson said:
If you took the O2 out of the cat, and replaced it in the header downpipe, you're going to throw a code. The 2nd sensor is getting the same reading as the first sensor, so it thinks the cat isn't doing anything. It compares the 2 sensors, and the 2nd should have a lower concentration of emission crap, and if it's reading before the cat, it won't see any difference.

You might need to tap into the cat and put the 2nd O2 in there. Or maybe after the cat. But from what I gathered from your post, you have the sensors pretty close to each other, on the same side of the cat.
i got that too. on my 95 with catco cat I put the 2nd o2 sensor on the pipe after the cat - just wleded a nut on.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey guys,

Thanks for the help........I was thinking that might be the problem, but I wasn't sure. I will try relocating the second O2 sensor and see what happens.

Thanks again.

·
ASE certified wiseass
319 Posts
Peterson is on the ball.

The second O2 HAS to be after the cat or you will throw a code and the car will run bad.

It has to be after the cat.

Randy

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey,

Yeah.......I'll probably drill into the Greddy pipe and thread it in.......shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.