The Nissan Club banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody,
I ran into a little problem. I installed a Ractive high flow intake (not a cold air), just the general one and now my engine light is on. There was this sensor that was connected inside the old filter box, but now it has no where to be housed. I don't know if thats the problem or not. All I did was disconnect and remove the stock filter box and replaced it with the Ractive filter/heat shield. I used the correct adapter and reconnected all the other stuff on as it was before except for that little sensor. The sensor just dangles right now and the engine runs fine. At first the RPMs were a little jumpy at idle but its all good now. You can seriously hear it pulling the air in. I didn't believe anybody who said it did, but it actually does and you can hear it even more at higher RPMS (obviously). It isn't like a frickin vacuum, but its enough to notice. Anyways, my engine light is on and I have no idea why (maybe just a coincendance). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Nipponese
4,000 Posts
That's a thermal sensor that checks for the air temprature that enters your intake. What you have to do is to install by retro fitting directly on to the filter. The thermal sensor differs in resistance depending on the temprature (the sensor varies its resistance from 2.1-2.9k ohms at 68deg. to 0.27-0.38k ohms at 176 deg.) anything it detects that's unusual trips off the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp aka Engine check light). Actually it takes 2 trips for the MIL to come on. Anyways, the thing is, even if you fix the problem, unless you reset the ECM (, the MIL will stay on. So, my suggestion is to first fix the problem, and then reset your ECM. The ECM resides in the foot well of your car, you have to follow the instructions exactly orelse you won't reset it. The only thing you need for this is a flat head screwdriver. Get into the foot well of the driver's side and take the plastic panel off (it's right by the gas pedal), you will then find the ECM reset switch (it may be covered by a clear plastic, just stick that flat-head screwdriver in there). Now you need to turn the ignition to the 'ON' position (do not turn the engine on though!). Now turn the screwdriver all the way clock-wise and wait 2 seconds, then turn it counter clockwise allthe way and wait 5 sec. now turn it all the way clockwise again and wait 2 sec. and back counter clockwise all the way and the ECM is reset!Turn the ignition off and turn it on again, your MIL should be off now.
Good luck.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really appreciate both of your help. Thank you very much. I am so glad that I don't have to take it into a mechanic. Thanks again

1 - 3 of 3 Posts