The Nissan Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here is the question I have 120,000 miles on my 94 and I was wanting to put pistons and a cam in it what are the chances I am gonna have to bore ? it runs great now no problems the reason I am asking is because I found me some pistons cheap but they are stock bore if I tear it down and have to bore a little then my pistons wont work obviously they ae 11.6:1 I know high compression is this a good thing? I know i couldnt run NOS I dont wanna anyway if you dont think this is a good piston then what would you suggest and where would I get them thanks

·
Turbo Motorhead
3,466 Posts
JWT makes a high compression piston at 10.5:1. Check into that if high cr is what you're looking for all-motor. (SHAWN, where are you!). You may also want to consider a bore between .020 to .040.

·
Golden Member
1,834 Posts
if the engine is low wear, then u dont necesairly have to bore it out for oversize, pistons have liners for rebuilds so no worries...

11.6:! !! nice mate ! thast real good for a n/a setup, but i def wouldnt nos it !

the thing is you would need bloody good fuel, ie 98 octane shell optimax or similar...

also comp. by itself is lame, u really need cams and head work to bring out the best of it..

cheers

joe

·
Erect Member
18,130 Posts
to give you an example of tough these little engines are, i pulled my head off of my engine with 146000 miles on it and the crosshatching was still visible and there wasnt a lip at the top of the cylinder either... as for 11.6:1 thats pretty damn high, even after it averages out, youll still need 92 or better octane ALL THE TIME.

·
Die Trying
8,357 Posts
JWT does make 10.5:1, but they're a little pricey.
JE makes an awesome piston and can 10.5:1 also.
SHAWN has the JE's as far as i know.

Oh, and it's definitely a strong motor. I leaned out real bad in number 3 and blew piston, the gasket looks awesome!! It's a tough motor with a million good qualities. Just do the build up, and research!!!!

·
Import Tech.
4,670 Posts
You should always rebore when doing a rebuild ... Also if you go with a forged piston you will HAVE to bore it since the forged pistons need a looser fit than Cast pistons ..... Come on , if you are building a performance engine , do it right !! I just dont understand cutting corners ..... As far as the JE pistons , they are a sweet setup , and JWT has the ECU program to go with !! You will want to get the pistons through www.racetep.com ..But if your engine is still in good shape , go with the cams first , and all the boltons !! Then go with the rebuild if you need a little more !!

·
Erect Member
18,130 Posts
i like to say, if you cant afford to do it right the first time, how are you gonna afford to do it the second time?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts