The Nissan Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some information about the engine service soon (ESS) light. A month ago I was waiting at a stop light and the ESS lamp came on. The car seemed to be running fine. I called Nissan Service - they told me it was more than likely a sensor. I was told it was more than likely not a serious problem. The next day the light went out and did not come on until last week. At idle, I noticed the engine ran rough. I took it in to my mechanic. He ran the diagnostics and found a leak in the intake manifold, which he fixed. Ran great.
Two days later the light came on again. The car seems to run great - even at idle. So I decided to wait a few days to see if anything changes.
I saw on this forum something about reseting the control module. Any idea how to do that.
Also, I noticed the engine has 92 K miles on it. Could the light be a ploy to get me in for 90 K mile service.

·
VTEC wont save you....
6,411 Posts
Look in the FAQ forum for the ECU reset procedure.My SES came on about 1000 miles ago and I to it to Nissan and they stated the light was because I have no cat.(Even though my car ran w/o a light for 40000+ miles like that):rolleyes:The light went off a day later.

And no,the light comes on because something needs attention.It is not like other cars that give a service reminder.That was my 1st light after 104K.

Oh,and the FAQ also shows how to get the code for troubleshooting before you reset it.:)

·
Premium Member
6,151 Posts
Without a code scanner, you can still get the computer to send back the fault codes to the engine check light. It typically requires jumping two terminals on a harness connector. The procedure varies with the car in question. Let me know if you need it for an Altima and I'll post the procedure straight from the service manual.

·
Premium Member
6,151 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts