The Nissan Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to Altimas, not imports, just Nissan. I currently have a 5th gen Accord, and I have had two Civics. Honda knowledge was my thing. Anyway, I was reading my new issue of Sport Compact Car today, and they were swapping an SR20DET from a JDM Bluebird into a US market Infinity G20. The article was very interesting, however I have some questions. My wife and I own a '98 Altima GXE. We love it, and the KA24DE out torques my Accord all day long. (For right now though, the Accord is much faster :)- Sorry). My question would be this: Since the SR20DET came in the Bluebird SSS (which we all know is a JDM Altima), would you be able to swap this motor into a second gen. Altima? I would think that you could (and the SR20DE as well) since the gen 1 and gen 2 Altimas both have the KA24DE, so I would think that the motor mounts would be the same. It would be just a matter of the right wiring. Am I on the right track with this line of thinking? Please help, and thanks in advance. By the way, this is a pretty nice board you have here. :cool:

·
11,384 Posts
The mounts are in fact different, and there is a lot of work involved. Of the maybe 3500 memebers, no one has ever even tried it...too much work.

One member, Shawn, has a brother with a G20, and he did the SR20DET for his sr20, and ir worked just fine...so Shawn said he eyeballed the engine into his Altima, and it wasn't very feesable. I mean, anything can be done, but is it really worth the effort? The KA can be turbo charged, and it's a nice strong engine.

But if you want to try it, by all means, look into it. You would be held on a pedistal here if you could do it.

·
Import Tech.
1,491 Posts
This is asked about two times a day here .... The short answer is No it cant be done .... The long answer is Yes If you have enough time and money anything can be done ..... There are so many differences between the Altima KA24DE and the Bluebird SR20DET/Sentra SE-R trans. That major welding and major fabrication would have to be done to make it all fit and work right I have done 2 SR20DET into G20 swaps and they are easy ( My brothers with the stock T25 and top mount ran [email protected] ) ....And I have spent much time looking into how to make it all go into an Altima ... Basicly if you want an SR20DET powered car and want a 4 Door car Get a G20 and swap it ...... Swaping the Altima would not be worth the time and effort !!!!!!

·
de-moderator
1,476 Posts
it CAN be done but, its going to cost alot. No, it is not a bolt up. for all the info on it click the Search BUtton in the corner and type in SR20DE you should get a few hundred results lol... anyways just look through there and you'll find ALL of the information you could ever want to know about the swap. If you do it you'll be the first person to do it... that altimas.net knows of

·
U13 Drifter
548 Posts
welcome to the board, the way it is now there has not been anyone who has actually done the sr20det conversion. Even worse bringing it up can get you flammed or negative response. Since the 2nd gen altima was never sold overseas i think it would be easier to try to do the swap on a first gen and there was a good site where you could get the engine , transmission, and ecu for about 2,500 ? or so but i can't remember the url. Hopefully in 5 years i'll have an sr20det and whiteline suspension with a custom body kit and i have a friend going for a sileighty conversion on his 240sx (s13) :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK. Thanks for all the replies. I don't plan to attempt this. Our Altima has 36,000 mile now. So the KA24DE could still be fast? I know that the SR20 is almost bullet proof when it come to running a fair amount of boost on stock internals. Is the KA24 the same way. I know with a Honda (especially the VTEC one's), due to the open deck design, higher than usual compressions, and relativly weak internals (compared with the SR20) you can't run a whole lot of boost and get away with it without reliability becoming a concern. You have to do internal engine work, such as lower compresion pistons, stronger rods, valves, valve springs, etc. etc., to regain reliability.
That would be pretty sweet if the KA24 were pretty much bullet proof as well.

Sorry for all the newbie questions. I had no idea that that question (the first one) got asked a lot. I figured that it could be possible, but wasn't sure. I'm used to Hondas, where there are so many engine swap combos it's unreal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts