The Nissan Club banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a general question/conversation. I'm currently in college so this definitely can't happen anytime soon, but, I've been researching engine swaps lately, mostly 2JZ swaps.

A lot of people say that if I wanted to swap engines in my 2002 Nissan Sentra SE-R, I should use a VQ35. Would a 2JZ even fit in a Sentra? I don't know much about engines so it would be cool to have a conversation about it!

Have a good day everyone!

·
Novice Grease Monkey
221 Posts
It would be quick, that's for sure. It'll be a lot of work and I don't know if anyone has done a swap like this before. It would be neat to see.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would never have the patience to do it. I feel like there would be allloootttt of welding. A VQ35 swap would be easier (I would think)

·
It's all Gravy, baby!
3,668 Posts
In short, no. The 2JZ is an inline 6 engine and, unless you're going to convert your Altima to RWD, won't work.

·
It's all Gravy, baby!
3,668 Posts
True, but the VQ will give you all the power you want. If that's not enough, turbo.

·
w00t
2,232 Posts
Even though possible as stated above, it'll be tremendous work and a lot of converting being that is it not a Nissan engine + RWD... Like everyone said KA/SR/QR/VQ

You could already boost the QR though and get the same numbers stock of a VQ35DE. (Treadstone Turbo Kit + Treadstone/BRM Exhaust + UpRev Tunning) A swap would still be a pain to put in the VQ in the B16 chassis even though it has been done, I believe.

Now, if your B16 had an MR20 in it... you have very little options for power, so a swap would probably be more obvious than the QR. (IMO)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I might just turbocharge the QR25 that is already in it. Just a small turbo, enough to get a little jolt. Probably a Turbonetics 50 trim? Only issue is that I dont know if the engine can stand a turbocharger, or my transmission for that matter. Sadly auto and shifts hard into 2nd, I feel like it would blow up XD

·
w00t
2,232 Posts
I might just turbocharge the QR25 that is already in it. Just a small turbo, enough to get a little jolt. Probably a Turbonetics 50 trim? Only issue is that I dont know if the engine can stand a turbocharger, or my transmission for that matter. Sadly auto and shifts hard into 2nd, I feel like it would blow up XD
Since you were considering a swap... you should consider doing minor re-building just to make sure it can stand the power (even though the stock block should be able to handle low PSI boost without sleeving) and do a tranny swap. 6MT. ;)

·
It's all Gravy, baby!
3,668 Posts
The QR can handle pretty decent amounts of boost in stock form. Add a cooler to the trans and stay on top of your fluid changes and you'll be okay for a while.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Since you were considering a swap... you should consider doing minor re-building just to make sure it can stand the power (even though the stock block should be able to handle low PSI boost without sleeving) and do a tranny swap. 6MT. ;)
I might do a little rebuild! Never crossed that thought, but it is a sensible idea. Plus I would 100% love the 6 speed manual over this 4 speed auto. The owners before this really didn't do anything with the car, the spark plugs were like sawed down nails. It probably needs some work on the inside.

·
w00t
2,232 Posts
On the B16 front many have boosted their QR's without the need of a rebuild. If you want to feel safe about boost incase you feel the stock block won't hold do some minor changes, nothing to radical but, as it was mentioned the block should hold it's own. A 6MT would be more fun but the automatic can handle it's own for a bit as was stated about the tranny cooler(s) and fluid changes. Amsoil and Royal are good choices to reduce friction and temps.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts