The Nissan Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone experienced abnormal vibration in the 1st gen's because of engine mod's? i had a pulley put on, but i don't know what is causing the vibration at idle and rumble sound through the rpm's. i haven't done anything else to the engine.
any comments on this are welcome, does anyone know what the problem is??????
jacob
jcn

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
by the way, i replaced engine mounts a few months ago one at a time, no problems from that, my vibration problems started when i put on the underdrive pulley
jacob
jcn

·
Import Tech.
1,491 Posts
Huh , dont know what to tell you , there could be a slight amount of vibration , but not very much , The only thing I can tell you is have the stock pulley instaled then if the vibration goes away you know that is the problem , if it is still there you will need to keep looking ...I would bet there is something else going on , and it is not the pulleys fault .....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
stock pulley

by the way, i decided on going on with the stock pulley after the underdrive caused the vibration only to find that the vibration was just the same, although i had never had problems before with the stock pulley or vibration.
jacob
jcn

p.s. i was told that ka24de's have no "harmonic balancers", but that the crank is balanced and there is no need for such, is there another internal balancer or something PETERSON?

·
Import Tech.
1,491 Posts
The KA24DE is internaly ballanced , but does have a balancer on the Crank pulley to reduce vibrations , so a person who buys an Altima has a smooth car ... The UD Pulley removes the balancer , so there may be a slight amout of vibration ( I noticed no extra vibrations on my car with the pulley!! ) ... But you said you put the stock crank pulley back on and the vibration is still there , well it looks like you have another problem ....Make sure all of your motor mount bolts are good and tight , and make sure your Idle speed is ok ......

·
Screw slow...Drive fast
621 Posts
Check out your catalytic converter. If your car is lowered it might have been pushed up into the bottom of your car. I just got mine fixed when I got my header installed. The whole front of the car vibrated like crazy and knowbody knew what it was.

·
Girl-Moderator
1,127 Posts
The only other thing I was gonna suggest is that maybe they didn't, but needed to, file down the timing chain cover. My pulley
got put on twice b/c my bf and his buddy didn't shave it down when they put it on and it was rubbing on those ridges. But baffled since you say you put the stock back on. Lastly, I've had
no issues with my pulley the few months it's been on. Feels as smooth as ever. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok i got rid of the vibration. . . or, at least most of it. i took the car to northpark nissan to get a diagnostic and the service manager said all that his guys would do is charge me $65 an hour just to tell me to have all motor mounts changed. he said it didn't matter that i already changed 2 of the mounts (front and back). in fact, he pulled the parking brake and revved up the engine in drive for a second and i saw that the mount near the drivebelts was really bad. i had no idea that it was like this, but apparently the deterioration allowed the engine to be moved forward by over an eighth of an inch than what it was supposed to. i got the mount and changed it that day for just over $100. i have been smooth sailing and running like new on over 150k miles. guys,. . .and girls this is the moral ive learned. if nissan service says to replace something, just do it, even though it seems that replacing parts is like shooting in the dark- they really know these cars

jacob
jcn

·
U13 Drifter
548 Posts
hey i had the same exact problem and it was so bad i was embarrassed to have ppl in my car and thought the motor mounts were gone too..i have the under drive pulley also, solution get wider tires, instead of 60 we got 65 at a used tire shop and after they were balanced and put on it was fixed

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Peterson said:
Did you put the underdrive pulley back on?

not yet.
the thing i did was contact courtesy nissan about the issue and they said it may be the wrong pulley. it turns out that they sent it to unorthodox in newyork. unorthodox engineers said i should have read instructions that state i should file down the oil pump case webbing because the racing pulley would rub against it. i dont know about anyone else, but i didn't get any instructions. oh well, i thought that was causing my vibration (wrong) and they are sending it back to me so i should be putting it one this week when i get it back. i don't anticipate any problems from it.

jacob
jcn

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hey guys,
i got another vibration problem that has come up after fixing the mounts, but it feels like tire out of round at 65mph and over. i don't think it is tires however. i know i had a freak power steering leak that caused every bit of fluid i had to escape, thus power steering running on dry for about 3 hours of aggressive driving. good thing is my power steering still works and no noise is being caused by the unit, but i get vibration like i said. i am going to get sears auto to take a look at the tires nonetheless, but i didn't peel out or slam the brakes. this vibration happened all of the sudden, right when the power steering unit ran dry. help if you can offer suggestions.

jacob
jcn

1 - 13 of 13 Posts