The Nissan Club banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1998 Nissan Altima has a whine to the engine. It has been happening for 1 day. Here are a few details.
1. Do you hear the noise when the engine is running and the vehicle not moving? Yes

2. Does the noise change with the engine speed? Yes

3. Is the noise heard only when the vehicle is put in gear? No (I hear it all the time)

4. Is the noise heard only when the vehicle is being driven, and does it change with the speed of the vehicle? It increases when being driven

5. Is the noise heard only when driving and turning corners? No

6. Is the noise heard only when applying the brakes while driving? No

7. Is the noise heard mainly when starting the engine and then only occasionally thereafter? No, all the time.
8. Does it smell? Yes, like something is burningMy 1998 Nissan Altima has a whine to the engine. It has been happening for 1 day.
1. Do you hear the noise when the engine is running and the vehicle not moving? Yes

2. Does the noise change with the engine speed? Yes

3. Is the noise heard only when the vehicle is put in gear? No (I hear it all the time)

4. Is the noise heard only when the vehicle is being driven, and does it change with the speed of the vehicle? It increases when being driven

5. Is the noise heard only when driving and turning corners? No

6. Is the noise heard only when applying the brakes while driving? No

7. Is the noise heard mainly when starting the engine and then only occasionally thereafter? No, all the time.
8. Does it smell? Yes, like something is burning

·
... don't get caught
279 Posts
Welcome to forum.

Hhmmm, I also have a '92 Honda - it has a one-time whine soon after start-up whenever I turn the first corner.
Figure it'll let me know if/when it becomes serious. 30,000 miles and counting.

Yours, being fulltime, maybe you could post an audio/video clip ... ?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts