The Nissan Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, as you can see by my username, this incident caused deep regrets. I trusted my friend to help me with waxing my car. He had a machine buffer. Long story short, when he used the machine buffer to buff off the wax, it burned through all the layers of paint, exposing the metal (I think). Now I have #deepregrets of having this friend help. My heart aches as I write this.

Hoping to get some insight on a DIY fix. Note: I know it's best to bring to a professional, but where I live it will cost at least $1000. Doing it myself is the only option I have. Willing to spend up to $300 for supplies. Appreciate anyone's help.

Make/Model:
2017 Nissan Qashqai (aka Rogue Sport)
Colour: Caspian Blue Metallic
Location of damage: lower left front bumper
Size of damage: approx 1.5 inch x 1 inch
Nature of damage: suspecting that the scratch went all the way down to the metal. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Questions I have in mind:
  1. How do I temporarily prevent the area from rusting?
    Things to consider: I plan to do the official fix by spray painting it myself. I live in Vancouver and it is currently way too cold to do any spray painting at home effectively. I need to wait at least until summer next year (9 months from now) to do the official fix. For now, I need to protect the damage from rusting, especially with all the moisture in Vancouver.

There is also probably wax all over the damage so need to clean it off. Can I just use rubbing alcohol?

2. How deep is this scratch exactly? Did the scratch stop at the primer? Or at the metal?
    I suspect down to the metal, but hope I'm wrong.

3. When I am ready to do my official spray paint fix in the summer, these are the steps I plan to take. What do you think?
    1. Clean the area with soapy water and rubbing alcohol.
    2. Dry the area with microfiber cloth
    3. Use 800 grit sand paper to smooth out the area
    4. Clean the area with a rubbing alcohol
    5. Repeat sanding with 800 grit sand paper until smooth
    6. Use spray can version of primer to coat the area
      Questions here: how many coats do I need? How long do I wait between coats? Do I need to sand between coat? If yes, what grit? Any product recommendations for the primer spray?
    7. After primer is done, do I need to sand it again? If so, what grit?
    8. Use an air brush to spray on base coat. I have the exact match of my paint left over from previous body work that the shop gave me in a small bottle.
      Questions here: do I need to thin this paint? If yes, what kind of thinner? What ratio? Are there different types of paint to consider? like lacquer, oil, etc (noob here)
    9. How many coats of base colour do I need? How long do I wait between coats?
    10. After the final base coat is done, wait 24 hours before doing clear coat
    11. Use spray can version of clear coat
      Questions here: how many coats do I need? How long do I wait between coats? Any product recommendations?
    12. After clear coat is applied, do I need to sand it again, like 1500, 3000, 5000 grit?
    13. Wait 1 week before polish (thinking of Meguiars Ultimate polish + microfiber cloth)
Sorry for long post, hope someone can please help a victim of a bad machine-buffer-handler :"(
Thank you for reading, hope you have a lovely day!

Attachments:
  • scratches
  • bottle of extra paint I got from car shop (about half full)
  • airbrush I'm thinking to get
  • mugshot of perpetrator
Car Automotive lighting Grille Hood Automotive tire
Atmosphere Water Sky Astronomical object Horizon
Atmosphere Hood Automotive lighting World Astronomical object
Automotive lighting Astronomical object Tints and shades Electric blue Space
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Automotive mirror Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Finger Wood Nickel Thumb
Automotive tire Camera accessory Audio equipment Personal protective equipment Gas
Liquid Fluid Font Rectangle Bottle

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Modern car bumpers are made from thermoplastic olefins,a blend of plastic molecules, rubber, and a reinforcing filler like carbon fiber or calcium carbonate.

No metal, and they don't rust.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Modern car bumpers are made from thermoplastic olefins,a blend of plastic molecules, rubber, and a reinforcing filler like carbon fiber or calcium carbonate.

No metal, and they don't rust.
Thank you!! That is great news. Appreciate the reply : )

·
Registered
63 Posts
In that photo I see what looks like rust blisters. I say that is not done by your friend. It was already compromised and paint flew off when the buffer past over it. Many ways to hold off the rust, either use a very small painters brush and spray some touch up paint in the lid of the paint can and brush it carefully. You could also use some vaseline but you have to keep an eye on it to make sure it always has some on it. I'd go with the touch up paint.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Magnets don't stick to aluminum..... It is a non-ferromagnetic metal due to its cell structure.
Edit: oh I see what you're saying, if non magnetic then no need to worry about rust. My bad.

And that could have been an air bubble in the paint or somewhere it didn't adhere correctly from the factory. That cheap buffer pictured would have a really hard time cutting through anything including paint or clear coat unless you put sandpaper on it. There are YouTube videos of using very high quality random orbital and straight rotational buffers in the same spot for several minutes without moving them and they don't cut through the paint. I have a torqx with is a large throw random orbital and I have problems removing some deeper scratches on my nissan paint quickly without spending a lot of time in one spot, even using a wool or microfiber cutting pad and a harsh scratch removing compound.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts