The Nissan Club banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
I bent my wookie.
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen this a couple places on here, but my idle usually hangs out around 600-700 rpm at a light (bone stock FOR NOW '97 GXE). However, it seems to get pretty erratic and head on up to about 1K rpm briefly, only to fall to 500 and cause a bit of a shudder that suggests a stall is iminent (having just gotten rid of an '85 Plymouth Voyager, I know this feeling well). I've noticed this particularly after getting gas and especially with the a/c on. My buddy says it sounds like the IVAC needs a cleaning. Any thoughts on whether that's the case and how hard it is to go about doing that? Thanks all.

·
Sexy Biatch
38 Posts
Yeah that shit happens all the time with so many ppls car here. I have heard about the IVAC (idle control thingy right?) but never seen anyone who knows where or what to do with it.

·
I bent my wookie.
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey, thanks for the ideas. The Haynes manual is my project for tomorrow. I was holding out for the factory service manual but I can't bring myself to pay that much, even though I know it's got a lot more info.

·
Registered
386 Posts
drumrwaldo said:
Hey, thanks for the ideas. The Haynes manual is my project for tomorrow. I was holding out for the factory service manual but I can't bring myself to pay that much, even though I know it's got a lot more info.
Got my Haynes for $13, and got the service manual for $36. Yeah, it's almost 3x more, but $36 still isn't that much.. try searching on ebay for a used one.

·
<for hire>
1,016 Posts
Could you do me and everybody else a favour and post any good results you find tomorrow? If you are going to spend some time to correct this problem, could you tell us what you did to fix it and what you did that doesn't fix it? I'd appreciate it, along with others I'm sure.

·
I bent my wookie.
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry, I've gotten sidetracked with a couple other projects and am waiting on a service manual through ebay. I'll definitely keep you posted once I get to it-probably next week, especially since it seems happier with our warmer weather.

·
Registered
2 Posts
mine does it too

I'm no mechanical expert, but this is what I've found so far: Haynes suggests for a "loping" idle that the likely suspects are, in order: vacuum leakage, leaking EGR valve, air filter clogged, fuel pump not delivering sufficient fuel to fuel injection system (or, one would think, clogged fuel injectors and/or fuel filter), leaking head gasket, timing chain/sprockets worn, camshaft lobes worn. I really don't think I have any of the serious problems and timing chain seems highly unlikely for any Altima with remotely normal mileage.

Two different mechanics suggested out of the blue (I hadn't asked about it...) that the rough idle was nothing to worry about, that it would probably be solved by a tune-up and fuel injector service. The car would benefit greatly from this, period. My dad also suggested that it may have to do with the fan cycles, it sounded like it might be, but I didn't pay that much attention to it. Of course, it could be something major that they're not accustomed to because they don't work on Nissans a lot, my dad included. I know my air filter was icky when I got it, and I replaced that earlier this evening, but haven't noticed yet if that helped at all. I'm getting a tune up, fuel filter, and fuel injector service tomorrow and I'll let you know if that makes a difference.

PS, I have found the Haynes manual to be quite useful but I will probably also get the shop manual further down the road. I can tell the Haynes doesn't cover quite a few topics, and I'd really like some more detail when it comes to some things.

·
I bent my wookie.
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the ideas, erisynne. I was just going to get the Haynes but I figured if I can snag a service manual on Ebay cheap I might as well just do that. Fyi, you may know this, but if you do get the service manual you want to make sure you get the one for your year-Nissan did make a few changes through the years, one of the biggies being a switch from OBD I to OBD II (I believe in '96 but I'm sure someone else on here knows for sure).

·
Registered
510 Posts
just remember if you need to take the IACV off to clean and check it, you'll most likely need a 90 degree joint and a philips screwdriver bit. That thing is in an awkward place on the manifold.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have the same exact problem with my idle.
I have a 97 with 68,000 miles. I changed my plugs and fuel filter. That didn't seem to fix it.
It's got to be a simple fix. I heard it could possibly be the altenator. I notice my erratic idle more often when it rains or when the lights are on, or when I use the defroster. Hopefully we can find out what's causing it.

thanks for all the info.

·
Registered
2 Posts
no dice...

Got that stuff done yesterday, though my tune up didn't include wires (they wanted $105! no way in hell I was paying that! gonna install em myself this weekend). The needle still jiggles around 500 rpm and bursts up... OR falls down... every once in a while. It does seem to do it less often but it does do it. With the a/c off, it only seems to drop downwards, to 200 - 300 rpm. But no stalling. The roughness (actual shaking of the car) to the idle has disappeared, and I thought they were related, but I guess not. I'm just not going to worry about it too much unless A) it seems to be causing a problem, or B) someone tells me it's a serious issue. Neither of which have happened yet :) I will be reading all the things that Haynes suggests, and looking into it, though I haven't been able to find a section about the IACV.

·
Retired Turbo Slut
63 Posts
Jeezus, I've had the same problem for years. My car is a 93 and I got it in 99. It shows the same symptoms you guys had (and still does). This problem would occur randomly and when I check my ecu it gave the code 45 which is leaking fuel injector only applicable to cali models and mine isn't. On a side problem, I replace the distributer with contained the cps (crank position sensor) which may have contributed to the problem. Anyways, i feel that this code was tripped my running to rich, due to a devience in the 02, coolent temp sens, and or MAS. To continue, i replaced this motor, not because it had problems, but i found a deal on a 2000 motor and tranny. I used all my old manafold which contained these sensors. The same problem would still occur rarely, but i still havent replaced these sensors in question. But they (02 and coolent) will be replaced before or when i install the turbo kit (as preventative and hopefully problem solving maintenence) which will include injector replacement. I try to monitor my air fuel mixture by a gauge tapped into the 02 sensor, this way is inaccurate, but gives me a general idea of whats goin on. Hopefully after 4 years this problem will be solved after these inexpensive parts are replaced.

side bar: I've never thrown a code during operation, only observed recorded codes by resesting the ecu. Some sensors in the early models have been known to deviate away from operating parameters with out producing a check engine light. So im crossing my fingers that this works with the whole turbo and all. But all i have to say is at least im running rich and stalling and not lean!

Hope this shit helps
Cause Still dont know wtf is goin on

I got nothin:confused:

·
87 octane evangelist
89 Posts
drumrwaldo said:
I've seen this a couple places on here, but my idle usually hangs out around 600-700 rpm at a light (bone stock FOR NOW '97 GXE). However, it seems to get pretty erratic and head on up to about 1K rpm briefly, only to fall to 500 and cause a bit of a shudder that suggests a stall is iminent (having just gotten rid of an '85 Plymouth Voyager, I know this feeling well). I've noticed this particularly after getting gas and especially with the a/c on. My buddy says it sounds like the IVAC needs a cleaning. Any thoughts on whether that's the case and how hard it is to go about doing that? Thanks all.
the a/c puts a lot of load on the engine. the rpms will rise when the a/c compressor comes on. that is normal in most cars.

·
Registered
24 Posts
hmmmmmm, this morning it was raining coming in to work and when the ac compressor came on and my lights were on, the rpm's dropped to 500. I turned my lights off and the rpms jumped back up to 750, which is about normal. I notice that when I'm stopped at a red light and I have my foot on the brake, my rpms will drop also. I take my foot off the brake and the rpms jump back up. I still have the original battery and altenator, so I think I'm going to try replacing them soon. hope this will take care of the problem.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.