The Nissan Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you ever had any problems with the distributor if so how did it run? i have took my car to to places and thay have said thats my cars problem it runs rough at times and other times runs fine VERY random sometiems it quits all together. so just wondering if anyone has had this problem

·
The Highest Grade
1,172 Posts
i have had problems with the distributor cap. my car just started to shake until it cut off. when i started it back up it would just make a coughing noise, and wouldnt move any faster than it does at idle.

·
The Minnesota Member
1,752 Posts
The distributor on my '94 GXE went out back in May of 2000. I was noticing symptoms for a couple weeks before it happened. When I would start it up, it would run extremely rough for about 10 seconds, then it would be fine.

Then, one day when I was on my way home, right when I was going around a turn, the engine just died. I couldn't get the thing started again for another 15 minutes. Then for the next 5 days while I tried to figure out what was wrong, I ended up changing the fuel filter which didn't help at all. I couldn't keep the thing running for more than 5 seconds.

It turns out the distributor assembly had gone bad. Sure put a big hole in my (dad's) pocket to fix. :mad:

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys, Mohamed, i hear you man about the hole in ur dads pocket my dad god bless him payed out 660 buks at the dealers for a distributor and they thought it was fixed and it did the smame crap again so we took it to napa and they said the one the dealrs put on may have been bad :rolleyes: i aint goin back there again, its at napa auto care right now i hope it gets fixed but thats why i asked.

·
Banned
1 Posts
white95 said:
thanks guys, Mohamed, i hear you man about the hole in ur dads pocket my dad god bless him payed out 660 buks at the dealers for a distributor and they thought it was fixed and it did the smame crap again so we took it to napa and they said the one the dealrs put on may have been bad :rolleyes: i aint goin back there again, its at napa auto care right now i hope it gets fixed but thats why i asked.

when I did my tune-up earlier this year, I used a NAPA distributor cap and rotor......ran fine for a week, then would just die. Got OEM ones, and been fine until this week, where I had to replace the cap and rotor again (actually today) to stop an engine miss.

·
Registered
110 Posts
My car had a similar problem and it turned out to be the crank position sensor. It would idle rough sometimes (and occasionally die while idling), and finally it wouldn't start (sometimes, it would start up fine a day later). It was an intermittant problem and it took 3 trips to the dealer to figure it out. It also costed $575 to repair (parts and labor). Either way, if it's a distributor or crank sensor, it's not cheap:mad:

·
Registered
51 Posts
My car takes like 3-5 seconds to start....although it starts every time, could it be a problem with the cap? Or is it something else?

I have one of those extended warranties to about 80k miles, would that cover a new cap, or whatever the problem is?

·
I Don't Drive An Altima
1,083 Posts
I had a probelm also with mine. It is kind of a silent recall for Nissans. Most first gens will go out around 80K miles.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
aaron1017 said:
I had a probelm also with mine. It is kind of a silent recall for Nissans. Most first gens will go out around 80K miles.
sounds right, well its out of the shop now and its fixed, the distributor the dealers put in was defected, napa put one in and it worked fine. so im gonna try and get my $660 from the dealers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts