The Nissan Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope these arent final but i found this article posted on freshalloy yesterday.... Sounds like someone has some inside info!

About a decade ago, Nissan created a surprise high-performer, the Sentra SE-R, which looked like the basic entry-level subcompact, but thanks to those initials after the name, came equipped with a factory upgraded engine, suspension, wheels, tires, and most importantly, fun quotient. So when I got the chance for a brief weekend with a 2005 Nissan Altima SE-R, I jumped at it.

The chance came during the introduction of the all-new Nissan Pathfinder in Seattle and nearby Bainbridge Island, and everything about the redesigned Pathfinder was impressive, but couldn’t be written about until September.
That’s a reasonable way to allow monthly magazines a chance to drive the same vehicles earlier and describe them at approximately the same time. Of course, the magazines get their September issues out by as early as July, but that sort of cheating is granted wink-wink/nudge-nudge acceptance.

My plan was to follow the Seattle trip with a weekend drive to scenic Bellingham, up close to the British Columbia border, where my son, Jeff, is currently living. I was offered the chance to drive a preproduction Altima SE-R for the weekend, and I was off. Nissan has reintroduced the Sentra SE-R, and will bring out the new Altima SE-R in mid-September. With no separate introduction planned, I was getting what amounted to an exclusive road-test.

A bright red and shiny black SE-R were both on display in Seattle, a city known as the home of Starbucks, which has coffee shops on virtually every block. “Seattle’s Best Coffee” stands and other competitors make it the richest caffeine city in the universe. Although I’m partial to Dunn Brothers, I savor my gourmet coffee black and straight, and that was the same way I chose my Altima SE-R — the black one, with a straight, six-speed stick. A couple of hours later, I was off. Driving up Interstate 5 as a slalom run amid the weekend wanderers, I felt united with the Altima SE-R’s capabilities, just as it felt fully responsive to my every urging.

The Altima itself was changed completely three years ago, growing onto the same platform as the larger Maxima and gaining Nissan’s strong 3.5-liter V6 in the process. For 2005, the front has been restyled to take on the “family” grille, and the SE-R gets a darkened treatment. It also gets unique front and rear fascias, a rear spoiler, high-intensity xenon headlights, tiny foglights set into the lower front and large chrome tips on the dual exhausts. True to the SE-R heritage, the best stuff comes underneath.

The 3.5 V6 is increased from 250 to 260 horsepower, and from 249 to 251 foot-pounds of torque for the SE-R, and while that’s not a big improvement, the difference is readily apparent from the husky exhaust note. A modular cylinder-head design with lightweight pistons is topped off by continuously-variable valve timing and a variable fuel-air induction system. The SE-R’s six-speed manual gets slightly revised gear ratios from second gear upward when compared to the five-speed sticks of other Altima models. The five-speed automatic that was on the red display car is also available on the SE-R.

The SE-R sticks to the road with larger 18-inch forged alloy wheels that are 8 inches wide, compared to the standard 16-by-6.5 on base, four-cylinder Altimas and 17-by-7 on SL or SE models. The altered aspect ratio means more alloy and less rubber, and the 225/45R18 low-profile tires help provide superior grip.

Just as significant to the handling of the SE-R is an increase in thickness of the stabilizer bars, by 2 mm in front and by 4.3 mm in the rear.
It was no surprise that the SE-R Altima held its position with ease on the freeway, but it more eagerly accepted the twisty two-lane roads from Bellingham to Mount Baker, where my son, Jeff, was tour-guide and co-driver. He was as impressed as I was at the car’s behavior. While it accelerated swiftly, the most fun was putting the right front corner on the outer line and having it hold that line with precision around the tightest turns.

Disc brakes on all four wheels are larger and thicker in front on the SE-R, and antilock brakes are standard, while brake-assist and electronic brake force distribution help assure that when you step on the brake pedal hard, you will get full potential out of those enlarged discs.

Inside, the SE-R package starts out with a unique dash treatment, with sportier textures and a center array of voltage, oil pressure and fuel consumption atop the stack that houses the audio and heat-air controls. That means you can’t get a navigation system in the SE-R. You do get the upgraded Bose audio system with six disc changer in the dash and eight speakers. Power, heated, leather front bucket seats and a 60-40 fold-down rear seat are standard in the SE-R.

At 3,279 pounds, the SE-R is no lightweight, but it carries its nose-heavy distribution well on the front-wheel-drive platform, and torque steer was never a problem during my drive time. Fuel economy is estimated at 20 city and 28 highway for the stick-shift SE-R.

The Altima’s main challenge is the Honda Accord and Toyota Camry, and it does well in that comparison. Last year, a new challenger emerged with the revised Mazda6 setting new standards for sporty handling among midsize sedans. Maybe that was the inspiration for Nissan to develop the SE-R, which gives the Altima a boost in sporty performance and handling in a potent package that is tastefully styled to be subtle — until you put your foot down.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
wow probably 5k over the sticker of a se for 10 hp.... not intersted except for the fact it has a 6 speed and comes in red... and the fact it MIGHT have LSD.

·
Registered
65 Posts
RobbieNismo: Nice work bro!

This gives us a good personal story on the SE-R....finally!

·
Registered
28,959 Posts

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
15,269 Posts
DesiEGO said:
I take that back, I read again and it says 260hp.
Page 126...."Additionally, a sporty SE-R model with an up-rated v6 engine delivering an additional 15 hp will interest those looking for a more standard Altima"

250 + 15 is 265 in Sharon.

What a more standard Altima is....I know not

·
Registered
61 Posts
I can't wait until the SE-R comes out so I can swap some of my stock suspension pieces for the ones of the SE-R. The thicker sway bars look enticing, as well as the sublte rear spoiler.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts