The Nissan Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else here notice excessive moisture on the inside of the windshield in the mornings, or on the carpets or under the floor mats?

I know that others have the wet windshield, but now I have noticed the floor mats getting very wet. I have the clear plastic mats over my Nissan mats and they are really wet under them in the mornings. Please check out your floor boards and see if they are wet in the mornings as well.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Is your altima parked outside or in an unheated garage?

Is it cold outside?

Do you drink coffee or anything else steaming in the car when you're driving?

Do you shower just before getting into the car, bringing lots of moisture with you? Are you a heavy mouth exhaler, or talk alot in the car?

What I'm getting at, is that you've got moisture vapor (humidity) in the car, and it will condense on anything cold. This would include windows and any metal, such as the cold metal beneath the carpet. My wife's old accord did exactly the same. She was a coffee/hot cocoa drinker while driving to work, and that car's A/C didn't work.

Try running with the A/C on. It should help to dry out the interior air. Get the interior air dry, and there will be no moisture to condense.

OpalBlue ;)

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The car is parked outside. It has been 30-40 degrees in the morning.

But the condensation is in the car as I walk up to it. It's not coming from me. I can walk up to the car, look in the window and see that the lower 60 percent of the windshield is heavily soaked, so much as to have large water droplets forming.

Also, the clear floor mats look like my shower door after taking a shower. I lifted up the Nissan mats and the backs of them are soaked and the carpet is soaked.

I haven't been running the A/C either. Also, haven't spilled anything in there either.

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,804 Posts
tHAT IS ODD

2002Altima said:
The car is parked outside. It has been 30-40 degrees in the morning.

But the condensation is in the car as I walk up to it. It's not coming from me. I can walk up to the car, look in the window and see that the lower 60 percent of the windshield is heavily soaked, so much as to have large water droplets forming.

Also, the clear floor mats look like my shower door after taking a shower. I lifted up the Nissan mats and the backs of them are soaked and the carpet is soaked.

I haven't been running the A/C either. Also, haven't spilled anything in there either.
That would have to come from several buckes of hot coffee in the car at one time. Someone is pissin in your car.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Have you been driving with the "econ" button on? If not than your A/c is on all of the time (unless the outside temp is in the 20's). My first guess would be a clogged evaporator drain. Other than that the only thing i could think of is a leak to the outside.

Good luck.

·
Kingpin
122 Posts
Last week it rained really hard and I went in the store for an hour and when I got back the center of my windshield was soaked on the inside. It was about a 8" diameter.

This is soo depressing to have to freakin' wipe off condensation from the front window. I tried the defrost for nearly 10 minutes and the defrost did nothing. :confused:

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 2cents

If I was a betting man I say you have a windshield leak hidden behind the molding someplace. Got my alty with a piece of molding running along the top of the windshield folded in. When the dealer went to fix it they informed me that the glass needed to be taken out of the car and replaced with a new gasket and sealer. This was done only to spring a leak in the upper right side of the windshield. Back it went after I notice after a night of rain that Lake Erie took up resident in the passenger side floor area. Like one quart of water was bailed out. They order and repeated the process and it's been OK since. Question I have for you is the dampness you are getting after it rains or a car washing? Check and see if you can find the source of the water entry. Again my 2 cents.:confused: :confused:

·
Kingpin
122 Posts
Re: My 2cents

bmvalk said:
If I was a betting man I say you have a windshield leak hidden behind the molding someplace. Got my alty with a piece of molding running along the top of the windshield folded in. When the dealer went to fix it they informed me that the glass needed to be taken out of the car and replaced with a new gasket and sealer. This was done only to spring a leak in the upper right side of the windshield. Back it went after I notice after a night of rain that Lake Erie took up resident in the passenger side floor area. Like one quart of water was bailed out. They order and repeated the process and it's been OK since. Question I have for you is the dampness you are getting after it rains or a car washing? Check and see if you can find the source of the water entry. Again my 2 cents.:confused: :confused:
I wash my car at least weekly and I have never gotten any type of condensation on my windshield the way I have after a good rain. My car is going in on Friday for the radio reception problem so I'll mention this to them as well.

·
Registered
664 Posts
ITS A LEAK!

The first car I had was a '95 Nissan Sentra and it had the same effects you described. Very sad, very bad. I sold it asap. The last car I had was a '97 Mitsu. Diamante. I had a wreck in it and after I got the car back, I noticed it was doing the same thing. The windshield would be full of condensation. Also the mats would be soaked. At first I started smelling something like dampness. When I couldn't figure out what it was, it occured to me to look under the mats and sure enough the whole carpet was wet. After many attempts to fix it at the shop, I ended up trading it for my 2k2 altima. If I were you, I'd take it to the dealer and complain. The smell of dampness can cause the girls in your ride to want to run away!!! :eek:

·
Registered
664 Posts
windshield leak

You may be right about the Windshield leak. I'm going to drench the car at the car wash and then see if I can see some moisture inside the car.
You may be exactly right about this. I would notice my Diamante would start the condensation on the windshield and the soaking of the floor mats right after I would wash my car. Definately take it to the car wash and drench it thoroughly. The first time I took my car to the shop, they told me it was a leak on the door, so they said they put some kind of sealant on the door to stop the leak. I got it back and it did the same thing. I noticed that at the front of the windshield was broken, actually where the wipers are (the black plastic thingy where the water drains). I would think this was the problem.

·
Registered
850 Posts
TSB on water!!!!

TSB on all Altimas...

Make: NISSAN Model: ALTIMA Year: All years

Service Bulletin Number: NTB94107 Bulletin Sequence Number: 081 Date of Bulletin: 11/94

NHTSA Item Number: SB037684
Component: AIR CONDITIONER:OTHER PART

Summary:
AIR CONDITIONING DRAIN HOSE MAY LEAK INTO THE VEHICLE INTERIOR AND DAMAGE ELECTRICAL COMPONENTS. *TW

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a clogged evaporator drain in my '04 Altima, took it to the dealer and they said that the warranty does not cover it. What kind of BS is that? Now my back seat is damped and smells everytime i get in the car and turn on the AC.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.