The Nissan Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
clean freak
3,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
See link for picture:
http://homepage.mac.com/skizot/hit.jpg

Any ideas what I could wedge in here that won't burn up from the heat and can prevent the Greddy catback exhaust piping from hitting. This is where I am getting the loud clunking sound from and I have no idea what to do.

It got worse after the header install as the entire exhaust sits different now.

·
Registered
9,499 Posts
what's actually hitting? Is that part of the sway bar and muffler bracket?

ever since I lowered the car, the piping near the muffler is hitting the sway bar over bumps in the road. Last time I took it back to the shop and they snugged up all the brackets with washers

·
clean freak
3,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no, the sway bar is ibehind it, it is hitting the rear cross member or whatever that part is called.

·
Registered
9,499 Posts
instead of patching the problem, is there any way you can tighten/bend the brackets/mounts for the exhaust so that it sits higher?

·
clean freak
3,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not sure, I am going to take it over to my neighbors shop and see what he thinks.

Thanks.

·
525 Posts
my ghetto ass technique, I'm embarrassed whenever a mechanic lifts the car, but it works

I used rubber hose, like the hose that goes from valve cover to intake pipe. You can get some from pepboys. I slit the rubber hose down the center and lay it over the exhaust pipe, it didn't, and didnt' need to cover the full circumference of the pipe, only the side that bumps. I then used intake clamps (pepboys) to secure the piece. My bumping noise occured near the muffler, so the heat wasn't as strong as if it was closer to the header. It worked/works for me. I really wedged it on there, so there's minimal room for it to lift and/or bump, sorta like filling the gap.

·
caviar cartel
3,219 Posts
I had the same exact issue on my 97 with the greddy system, 30 dollars later a hanger was welded to hold the top of the pipe higher and to prevent the clunking that i would hear every time I hit a bump.. Do it the right way, its cheap and reliable.

·
caviar cartel
3,219 Posts
Haha.. well doing it right in this situation is cheap and reliable. In certain scenarios the solution is not always so cheap :(

·
clean freak
3,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
alright, alright damn it. I have a shop I will take it to on Wednesday and have them look at it real quick. I have dealt with them in the past, they should be able to check it out. If not my neighbors shop will do it.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
9,499 Posts
I'm actually going to take mine in this week too since it has been banging and knocking a lot with all the ice lately.

·
Die Trying
8,357 Posts
pr0lific is right, ya knew what i meant. But i have always been a "do it right" type of guy. Shit tends to last longer and perform better.

·
clean freak
3,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
RyanD said:
pr0lific is right, ya knew what i meant. But i have always been a "do it right" type of guy. Shit tends to last longer and perform better.
LOL - yeah i know, just it is driving me crazy right now and hate hearing that sound on every little bump.

·
Registered
9,499 Posts
I think it just might be a matter of adjusting the hangers so that it sits at the right level! I'm assuming the header install shifted the whole thing slightly.

·
Incognito
6,134 Posts
well theres actually two ways that they can do it... 1st (probably cheapest way and better in the long run) is to cut off a section of exhaust tubing, like a CM or so, and weld the two parts back together. 2nd way, would be to get some thermal wrap and wrap teh actual section with it.

·
Registered
438 Posts
damn i just started having the same problem after i put on my header the other day. I think ill just go with cthunders advice and cut a section of the pipe off and weld it back together, it probably wont look as bad as doing the other things to it.

·
EXPLICIT EDITION
324 Posts
pr0lifik said:
I had the same exact issue on my 97 with the greddy system, 30 dollars later a hanger was welded to hold the top of the pipe higher and to prevent the clunking that i would hear every time I hit a bump.. Do it the right way, its cheap and reliable.
I had the same problem and did exactly this and it's fixed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts