The Nissan Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I've been hearing an intermittent noise that seems to be coming from underneath my Altima that could be from a loose exhaust heat shield. It occurs primarily during acceleration from a stop although I've heard the noise when backing out of my garage when leaving for work in the morning and have occasionally heard the noise when the CVT is in park and I rev the engine.

It's too cold to crawl underneath my car the next few days so I was curious if any other 13 or 14 Altima owners have had a problem like this yet and if so what they did to repair it

My car is over 8 years old and has been driven in SE Michigan 95% of the time, winter included. I will need to do something soon as the noise is getting more frequent. My neighbors won't be pleased to keep hearing this noise at 5:30 in the AM.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Simple solution is to take your car to a local muffler shop. If it is the heat shield, they can repair/fix it in a few minutes.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Throckmorton but I was looking for a DIY type repair instead of taking it somewhere. I do appreciate the muffler shop idea though. I might just need to do this if the weather is not cooperative. It's supposed to be above freezing here the middle of next week which will allow me the chance to find the noise source. I watched a YouTube video that showed one location where the heat shield gets loose.
loose heat shield on 2014 Nissan Altima - YouTube

·
Registered
3 Posts
Recently I've been hearing an intermittent noise that seems to be coming from underneath my Altima that could be from a loose exhaust heat shield. It occurs primarily during acceleration from a stop although I've heard the noise when backing out of my garage when leaving for work in the morning and have occasionally heard the noise when the CVT is in park and I rev the engine.

It's too cold to crawl underneath my car the next few days so I was curious if any other 13 or 14 Altima owners have had a problem like this yet and if so what they did to repair it

My car is over 8 years old and has been driven in SE Michigan 95% of the time, winter included. I will need to do something soon as the noise is getting more frequent. My neighbors won't be pleased to keep hearing this noise at 5:30 in the AM.
Ok so the simple fix is buy a can undercoating spray. And while under there spray anything else that might rattle. Even flex seal will work.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Ok so the simple fix is buy a can undercoating spray. And while under there spray anything else that might rattle. Even flex seal will work.
Wrong answer. Spay undercoating should never be applied to areas that get hot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wrong answer. Spay undercoating should never be applied to areas that get hot.
Just spray the bolts or connecting points . Or use High heat paint. Slathered. Let dry should stop rattle. Lookin for cheap fix ...
Not on exhaust on heat shield backside.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts