The Nissan Club banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
renee29404
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I just got my 2010 Altima 4 cylinder about a year ago.

We noticed the car started acting up, bogging on acceleration. Took it to a few mechanics who all said needed cat replacement. I found a (now friend) mechanic through other Uber & Lyft drivers. He replaced the cat, but it was still louder than I thought it should be. Acceleration better, but not as good as I thought it should be. He looked it over again, found cracks in exhaust manifold. He welded what he could but said I needed new one. So we got all that done just before Christmas. Car was fine for a couple of months. Started getting loud again, and then suddenly while driving to work, the car got REALLY loud and the car was running like crap. I got to work, opened the hood and the pipe leading from the bottom of this new exhaust manifold had sheered off the manifold.
Towed the car to mechanic. He replaced it. Everything was fine. A month and a half to 2 months later, I noticed car getting loud again.
He looked it over, said he found a small leak near the gasket but it runs fine and is not too loud. Bring back if it gets worse. So this past Monday, May 16, I took car back to him. He replaced gasket and said the pipe was starting to crack in same spot. He welded those cracks. Car was fine until Saturday. My son & I are driving, and the pipe severed again. WTH?

Any ideas as to why this pipe severed a second time in the exact same spot?
First time:
View attachment 80914

Second time:
View attachment 80922
View attachment 80930

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Could be the rest of the exhaust system is bent causing excessive strain at that one point in the system. I've seen some pretty messed up pipes from people just backing into curbs. Check all your hangers and the alignment of your pipe. Make sure all hangers/bungees have a reasonable amount of strain on them. A decent muffler shop should be able to do all this for you, and prybar what ain't right back to where it should be.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts