The Nissan Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you know a lot about tires and wheels, i need your help in an arguement against my dad. I want to get new wheels and tires. I have 15" hub caps right now. I want to get 17" mr7's and new 215/45/17 Faulken High Perfermance tires. He says it is bad to get different size tires because my car was designed to run a certain way, and this is changing it. That my tire will a) fit in the wheel well for now, but when i go over something like train tracks, the tire will hit the metal and chew up the tire. b) that everything in the engine will be thrown off. That my car was designed to shift at certian rps, and my speed is calculated by rotations, and that everything will be thrown off with new size tires. I tried to tell him that a computer can be changed to recognize the difference, but he said it can't. c) his basic arguement is that the tires won't performe as well and that i am messing with something that is designed to run a certian way. That professionals have tested and found the best way my car runs, and that i am messing with that, and asking for trouble. I need good facts for why i can get new tires and rim size and be o.k.

·
was up
3,277 Posts
well where to start

First of all...

The RPM is not the RPM of the tire

The speed is measured by the rotation of the wheel/tire...he is correct about that. BUT...when you upsize a rim you downsize the tire to retain the same overall circumference. 215/45/17 is actually the closest circumference to stock out of wheel/tire combos that work for our cars.

This will not mess up anything in your engine (i dont know what hes talking about)

The computer will not recognize the difference because it doesnt have to. There is nothing for it to recognize.

and about the tires not working as well...he must not know much or he just doesnt want you to do this. (i would think the latter) the whole point of upsizing a rim is to downsize the sidewall of the tire and have a wider track thus = better traction and a stiffer sidewall for better handling.

you will have to be more careful managing around potholes and BIG train tracks because the tire cant give in as much or your rim will hit and get messed up. but anyone in their right mind wouldnt have hit that track as hard or gone over the hole to begin with.

hope this was of some help

·
Banned
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
alright, thanks for the start. i will make some points to him, and i believe you are correct about the latter part. i think he just doesn't want me spending $$ on my car

·
belongs -> @ltimas.net
428 Posts

·
8,112 Posts
Just to let you know here are some MR7's in a 18 inch with tire's.

http://www.altimas.net/forum/showthread.php?threadid=84293

What I did to get my rim's and wheel's was tell my dad its my money that I worked hard for and my car. BACK OFF.:D

Now I have Enkei RS-5's 17's with Falken tire's 215/45/17.

·
Banned
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i already got a seller on the mr-7s. brand new for 525 shipped. Here's the kicker. i have to borrow about $250 from my dad and pay it back to him. so first i have to convince him its worth it, then to loan me the money. i do have a job and i bring in enough to pay him back in 1 month, so i dunno. got to make a good point.

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
jamarwalker said:
... his basic arguement is that the tires won't performe as well and that i am messing with something that is designed to run a certian way. That professionals have tested and found the best way my car runs, and that i am messing with that, and asking for trouble. I need good facts for why i can get new tires and rim size and be o.k.
You dad is an @ss. He has obviously have not heard of the concepts of....
- Lowest bidder
- buy low, sell high

The reason why the Altima comes stock with 205-60-15 tires on steel cause...
- They are cheap to buy keeping production costs low and maximizing profits
- The Altima was NOT targeted to the performance minded. So why bother putting on a nice 215-45-17 wheel on the Altima when grandma can't feel the difference between a 205-60-15 and a 215-45-17

No car that rolls out of the showroom is EVER running at it's peak performance potential. Even a BMW M3 has room for more improvement.

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
Neegra said:
you will have to be more careful managing around potholes and BIG train tracks because the tire cant give in as much or your rim will hit and get messed up. but anyone in their right mind wouldnt have hit that track as hard or gone over the hole to begin with.
Performance tires with lower profiles will have a much stiffer sidewall construction to make up for the lack of sidewall when you're hitting a bump. Just like lowering a car with performance springs... performance springs will have higher spring rates to make up for loss in suspension travel so you don't bottom out.

jamarwalker, take a look at all the links on this page...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/general/sidewall.htm

·
Torqueless wonder...
2,586 Posts
how come everyone chooses to ride on 215/45/17 and not 225/45/17? u will be goin at .2 miles over... so is it better for the odometer that your traveling slower? I don't understand this...

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
jamarwalker said:
i already got a seller on the mr-7s. brand new for 525 shipped. Here's the kicker. i have to borrow about $250 from my dad and pay it back to him. so first i have to convince him its worth it, then to loan me the money. i do have a job and i bring in enough to pay him back in 1 month, so i dunno. got to make a good point.
I hope that's $525... with tires!!!! Cause Motegi MR7's are not that great. Plus they are hogs weighing in at 24.5 lbs per rim.

Check out my sig for pics of my Rota Subzeros. 17" weighing in at 16.5 lbs per rim. $550 shipped with no tires.

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
Altima2000 said:
how come everyone chooses to ride on 215/45/17 and not 225/45/17? u will be goin at .2 miles over... so is it better for the odometer that your traveling slower? I don't understand this...
Dave, it depends what you're using for comparison.

If you're using as your start point....
- 205-60-15 <-- 215-45-17
- 195-65-15 <-- 205-55-16, 225-45-17

Look at the IS300. From the factory you can have either a 205-55-16 or 215-45-17

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
jamarwalker, updates?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts