The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow members, I’ve been a long time lurker and researcher and thanks in advance for all the info I have learned in the past years!

recently I have been attempting to diagnose my AC system problem on my 2012 Altima 2.5s

I recently had a front end collision and when I got my car back home I tested the AC to find out it is only blowing HOT AIR.... upon calling the repair shop I was informed that I would have to pay them to have proof that this error in the AC system was in fact accident related!!! FYI- the repair shop had already replaced my evap coil, condenser, and a few sensors after the collision according to the paperwork, but they did not replace the compressor / clutch assembly....

Upon further investigation of my AC problems I have determined the system has a full charge of refrig, the clutch for compressor does not engage, and after performing the IPDM self test on my car the AC clutch still would not engage.

Any advice or info as to where to look next before I send it into another shop would he greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Disconnect the harness at the compressor. Turn your car to the on position (engine doesn't have to be running) and measure the harness voltage. If you're getting voltage and the clutch isn't engaging, then your clutch coil is fried.

I bought a replacement for 20 bux off ebay, but they don't sell the coils separately at any retail place. It seems to be a common issue on late model nissans.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice, I assumed that running the ipdm self test would be the same as essentially putting power directly to my clutch coil/ compressor, this test did not engage the clutch.... could I just assume the clutch is gone ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the advice, I assumed that running the ipdm self test would be the same as essentially putting power directly to my clutch coil/ compressor, this test did not engage the clutch.... could I just assume the clutch is gone ?
That's correct. I highly doubt your clutch is gone.. you'd probably notice less effective AC and/or burning smells if the clutch was slipping before this. It's a spiral disc that engages the compressor when the coil get electrified.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The system was damaged during a front end collision, and the repair shop replaced many components in the AC system, but did not touch the compressor / clutch assy, do you think this is something that a different shop may be able to prove as being accident related? I do have all original paperwork showing the work done on the system, and after that it just never worked.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The system was damaged during a front end collision, and the repair shop replaced many components in the AC system, but did not touch the compressor / clutch assy, do you think this is something that a different shop may be able to prove as being accident related? I do have all original paperwork showing the work done on the system, and after that it just never worked.
Not in my opinion.. Unless there's some sort of mechanical damage. Try spinning the compressor by hand with the car off to see if it's seized.

Since it's holding pressure, it looks like they did a good job replacing the condenser. Hopefully they vacuumed and filled it properly.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I want to assume they did a proper evac and recharge after their repair work.... I am a residential HVAC installer and have quiet a bit of knowledge of home central air systems, but I have never worked on car systems.

I had the repair work done at a somewhat well known body/repair shop, I am just at a loss now with my AC not working after the repair, even though my car had perfect function of AC before and would basically freeze you out if you left it on to cold, I am not looking to sink money into something that isn’t really broken

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I own my my own vacuum pump, manifold for testing, micron guage, and nitrogen tank and acetylene tank for residential installs but I have very little knowledge of car systems and the safety switches / locations

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,892 Posts
There is an ambient air temp sensor which is normally mounted in front of the rad...if it wasn't replaced or is still disconnected, that can cause this issue. Start there.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is an ambient air temp sensor which is normally mounted in front of the rad...if it wasn't replaced or is still disconnected, that can cause this issue. Start there.
Is this ambien sensor inline with one of the AC hi or low lines? Or is it just a wired sensor?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just wondering what this sensor looking unit is that is just dangling in behind my rad fan, looks like something didn’t get mounted back in its proper position, I will post a pic if I can get a good one

·
6,892 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have since the other day, determined that my AC compressor and clutch are in working order, but ARE NOT receiving power from the ipdm, so I am confident that either the ipdm is fried or I have a break in my wire to compressor from ipdm.
What’s the chance of my ipdm failing but everything still working except the AC power?

·
6,892 Posts
Don't assume the IPDM is at fault until you have done the IPDM self test procedure (which activates the ac coil 5x). There are plenty of other things that can prevent the IPDM activating the ac clutch under normal conditions (ie defective/missing ambient air temp sensor, auto AC unit inside vehicle, etc.).

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have since the other day, determined that my AC compressor and clutch are in working order, but ARE NOT receiving power from the ipdm, so I am confident that either the ipdm is fried or I have a break in my wire to compressor from ipdm.
What’s the chance of my ipdm failing but everything still working except the AC power?
How did you determine? Did you measure voltage at the harness? Did you measure resistance of the coil? You could tap the coil lines and send 12vdc to it to see if it'll engage.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How did you determine? Did you measure voltage at the harness? Did you measure resistance of the coil? You could tap the coil lines and send 12vdc to it to see if it'll engage.
I had a shop that works on AC’s do the testing to determine it was either the ipdm or the wiring in between the ipdm and the clutch/ compressor, he did do a bench test on the compressor/ clutch coil and it engages normally when power is put to it directly from the battery, bypassing everything except the compressor.

the shop did not have time to look at the wiring in between today as I was only there for a diag, which ended up being free of charge, I am supposed to take my car back there Friday morning.

·
6,892 Posts
Read this thread. Do the test in Post#5. Have a helper listen/watch/touch the compressor (engine should not be running for this test!) while the test is cycling. It should activate 5x.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Read this thread. Do the test in Post#5. Have a helper listen/watch/touch the compressor (engine should not be running for this test!) while the test is cycling. It should activate 5x.

I have performed the ipdm self test and I did hear a series of clicks but the clutch did not move visually, and the clicks do not sound like they are coming from the compressor area

·
6,892 Posts
Ok, so if the IPDM test cannot energize the AC clutch, then your next step is to check/replace the AC fuse and/or relay in the IPDM.

You won't see anything move, but you will hear it, and should feel a thud if touching the AC pulley.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
After holding my hand on the hi side small AC line where it connects to the compressor I can confirm the clutch is engaging and demagnetizing the 5 times like it’s supposed to during the ipdm test, so it’s something else causing my compressor not to come on with my climate controls.

i am up for any suggestions and I do have a multimeter and other electrical testing tools, but I do not know the switch locations on my 2012 Altima

1 - 20 of 40 Posts