The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My engine light check came on and I took it to the shop and it was the thermostat that needed to be replace and after the thermostat was replace my fan always stays on when the car is started and it never goes off the guy that help me installed my thermostat don't know what is causing this problem. Anyone here know how to fix this issues?

·
Super Moderator
9,752 Posts
1st off was it the correct T-stat? I know it sounds basic, but if the wrong one were to be installed, it will not work correctly.

2nd, is the level of coolant in the system correct? If coolant is too low, the fans may just run constantly trying to cool the engine down.

The coolant temp sensor is what is responsible for, well sending info back to the ecu about the temp of the coolant. Too hot, it turns the fans on, etc....It is possible that it may need to be replaced, but I would look at the t-stat for the correct one being installed. It was all that was done, so always start there...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1st off was it the correct T-stat? I know it sounds basic, but if the wrong one were to be installed, it will not work correctly.

2nd, is the level of coolant in the system correct? If coolant is too low, the fans may just run constantly trying to cool the engine down.

The coolant temp sensor is what is responsible for, well sending info back to the ecu about the temp of the coolant. Too hot, it turns the fans on, etc....It is possible that it may need to be replaced, but I would look at the t-stat for the correct one being installed. It was all that was done, so always start there...[/QUOT

After installing the t-stat I went back the next day and they thought it was bad t-stat so they install a new one and to make sure it opens up they tested and it opens up then they redid the coolant and all but the fan still stays on I had to leave my car there and they did all they can and still the problem won't go away and the shop owner said he don't know what else to do and that if the check light comes back on bring it back but no check light is on and i'm just worried that something is wrong with the fan and that it will eat up the alternator.

·
Super Moderator
9,752 Posts
The fans stay on even with the ignition off?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The fans stay on even with the ignition off?
no only when the car starts. Also before they install the new T-Stat they hook up their reading and it says coolant low and after they install the T-Stat the coolant reading says high and they flush out the coolant and mix the coolant 50/50 and it still says high.

·
Low & Fast...
2,535 Posts
Try disconnecting the battery for a few hours, and if that doesnt work. Clear the codes if they are still showing on the reader.

·
Super Moderator
9,752 Posts
I am still thinking they used the wrong t-stat. Blubird, I doubt its as simple as disconnecting the neg. for an hour or so. Bet they installed a generic, universal t-stat that IS NOT compatible. Note how this only happened AFTER they installed the new t-stat?
no only when the car starts. Also before they install the new T-Stat they hook up their reading and it says coolant low and after they install the T-Stat the coolant reading says high and they flush out the coolant and mix the coolant 50/50 and it still says high.

·
2010 2.5s Sedan
5,141 Posts
if the fan constantly stays on (as long as the car is running), i can think of a few things:

1. an unplugged or bad coolant sensor (see if it's connected, if so try unplugging it and see what happens)
2. a bad fan relay
3. a low coolant level (did the shop get all of the air out of the system?)

·
Low & Fast...
2,535 Posts
I am still thinking they used the wrong t-stat. Blubird, I doubt its as simple as disconnecting the neg. for an hour or so. Bet they installed a generic, universal t-stat that IS NOT compatible. Note how this only happened AFTER they installed the new t-stat?
Yeah you might be right. Our cars are finicky little bitches...lol and if you dont replace the parts with genuine nissan parts. She wont act right.

·
Super Moderator
9,752 Posts
Jim, wouldnt an unplugged/bad sensor trip a code? Perhaps also if the sensor is bad, the performance of the engine would be much less than normal....almost limp mode.

Bad relay, and the fans wouldnt work at all.

Low coolant level with the possibility of air not burped out??? Yeah I could see that.
if the fan constantly stays on (as long as the car is running), i can think of a few things:

1. an unplugged or bad coolant sensor (see if it's connected, if so try unplugging it and see what happens)
2. a bad fan relay
3. a low coolant level (did the shop get all of the air out of the system?)

·
2010 2.5s Sedan
5,141 Posts
Jim, wouldnt an unplugged/bad sensor trip a code? Perhaps also if the sensor is bad, the performance of the engine would be much less than normal....almost limp mode.

Bad relay, and the fans wouldnt work at all.

Low coolant level with the possibility of air not burped out??? Yeah I could see that.
the OP originally stated that he had a check engine light on and they changed the t-stat. he didn't state if they checked the original t-stat for failure. he also didn't state if the fans were constantly running before they change the t-stat. hopefully he can chime in and answer these questions.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the OP originally stated that he had a check engine light on and they changed the t-stat. he didn't state if they checked the original t-stat for failure. he also didn't state if the fans were constantly running before they change the t-stat. hopefully he can chime in and answer these questions.
Ok guys my check light comes on and I took it to the shop he hook up his tool and the code reads bad t-stat so he replace it and the light goes off and after that I was driving home and I notice my fan never goes off until I turn off my car so i brought it back to the shop and he thought the t-stat might be a bad one so he ordered another one and he made sure it opens and then he installed the new one on and the fan still stays on until I shut the car off so he's thinking the coolant is not right so he flush the coolant got all the air out put new coolant and still the same thing so he don't know what else to do.

·
2010 2.5s Sedan
5,141 Posts
Ok guys my check light comes on and I took it to the shop he hook up his tool and the code reads bad t-stat so he replace it and the light goes off and after that I was driving home and I notice my fan never goes off until I turn off my car so i brought it back to the shop and he thought the t-stat might be a bad one so he ordered another one and he made sure it opens and then he installed the new one on and the fan still stays on until I shut the car off so he's thinking the coolant is not right so he flush the coolant got all the air out put new coolant and still the same thing so he don't know what else to do.
because you and the mechanic took air and the t-stat out of the equation (no air in the system and a working t-stat). something is still telling the fans to stay on, that leaves the fans temp switch and the relay as potential problems.

·
Super Moderator
9,752 Posts
Mmmm maybe but again, the relay for the fan is normally in the "open" state until it receives an electrical signal to close, or complete the circuit, thus turning on the fans. I dont think its the relay. Now, the coolant temp switch, or coolant temp sending unit still could be viable. More needs to be know about this, wouldnt you agree Jim? Op, is there any visual change on the temp guage while the car is running? Does it run hotter or cooler, or is it in the normal range? Op, what is the EXACT code that was being thrown.....? Is the fan speed the "high" or "low" speed? There are 2 speeds.
because you and the mechanic took air and the t-stat out of the equation (no air in the system and a working t-stat). something is still telling the fans to stay on, that leaves the fans temp switch and the relay as potential problems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi Guys,
did anyone get this thing worked out? My 08 Versa just started acting the same way.. only no SES light yet. it's really annoying and my A/C stopped working as well and i bet it is related to the cooling fan thing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2012 Maxima that was overheating.
Changed the t-stat. Now the fan keeps running after I've been driving for a while. So I changed the temperature coolant sensor. The fan still keeps running. Anyone ever fix this issue?
Any help would be appreciated.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
7,024 Posts
If you have an overheating problem and it wasn't the t-stat.....then you still have a problem and that may be causing the fans to run to try to bring the temp down. Have you checked your coolant temp while the fans are running? Is it in spec or above the point where they should be on?

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you have an overheating problem and it wasn't the t-stat.....then you still have a problem and that may be causing the fans to run to try to bring the temp down. Have you checked your coolant temp while the fans are running? Is it in spec or above the point where they should be on?
I should have mentioned that after changing the t-stat my car does NOT overheat. Coolant temperature remains constant the gauge right in the middle. However the fan stays on. I did change the coolant temperature sensor but still the fan stays on.
The t-stat was not from the dealer. it was an emergency repair so I had to go to the auto store to get it. Could it be a bad t stat?

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
7,024 Posts
So here's the thing...the fan doesn't run when Ignition is ON, or when you start the car. It comes on later (after everything has warmed up) but then stays on. This is fine if your t-stat is working as it will simply shutdown the flow if too much cooling is present.

Is it possible that something is off in your AC system, as the AC will often force the engine fans on when it's in cooling mode. To make sure that's not the issue...turn off the AC and drive say another 5min, and pull over (leave engine idling). If the fans have stopped spinning...then something could be up in your AC, or it could just be that hot outside :)

I don't think it's anything so simple as a fuse or relay....though, if you're stumped, you could change out the fan relay(s).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts