The Nissan Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had to get my car tested for emissions, and was pretty surprised how fast it was. Instead of getting in the car and and 'driving' it all different speeds on the rollers, they just plugged it into the obd under the dash. It didnt give any readings on the paper like usual, but it passed.

So I guess if you install anything and dont get any cel lights, you will pass. I only have an intake and it did fine. This was in Md btw.

·
Honorary So Cal Member
16,046 Posts
yea I just got mine done about six months ago and they did the same thing for mine. I registered mine online so by the time I got home the info on the car was already at the DMV website and I regitered in like 2 minutes. SO much better than waiting in that line at the DMV

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
new york state is going to start using obdII also for inspections.

·
Registered
953 Posts
So did they do a under the hood visual inspection? In California they do.

·
Registered
953 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
iceman55508 said:
no, all he did was type in the vin the number pull the car up and plug in the connector, took about a minute then pulled up again and printed out my paper.

·
X-Mod
6,471 Posts
So even if you have a recurring code, if you clear your ECU and drive straight over before the code sets you could pass?? Or do they check for last reset or something like that?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Altimat said:
So even if you have a recurring code, if you clear your ECU and drive straight over before the code sets you could pass?? Or do they check for last reset or something like that?
Im just guessing, but im sure if you just dont have any errors reported - lights on, you would pass. Normally they just drive your car on the roller and measure 3 levels of exhuast output and compare it to a state standard and say whether you pass or not. I dont know how the car would measure your exhaust output, so if you dont have any cel lights on, I would guess you would be ok.

·
Registered
454 Posts
i didnt my first inspection like 9 months ago...the guy didnt check anything and passed me.

i asked him why, he said brand new cars dont need to check anything for the first 2 years..i dont know if that is only NYC or if that only him...

·
My little champion...
4,966 Posts
MD here too...

I took mine in, and instead of the normal driving at different speeds, the technician just drove my car past the rollers didn't hook anything up and handed me a paper and told me I'm done.

RIP-OFF!!! Its not like it cost much though. But in all honesty they probably need to check a brand new car out after 4 years rather than 2.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts