The Nissan Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
IONO_g20_nao!
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, lets say I buy a headunit and speakers, for the installation would I need to change any wiring?

Or is it just, yank out the stock head unit, yank out the speakers and drop new ones in?

If I put in a new head unit without new speakers, is there a chance I could blow out my stock speakers?

I know in my 1998 Nissan Altima GXE I have 6.5" speakers [right?] but how many watts and whatnot, basically what level of speaker would be above it? And any reccomendations for speakers? Looking around $60-$100 per speaker I'm leaning towards a Pioneer 3500MP head unit, yay or nay?

Also any kind of custom door panel boxes I could put in to show off the speakers rather than that grill thing covering it?

Thankies~!

·
I'm the drunk member
1,196 Posts
Yeah just buy a harness for head unit, it's easy to install, 1hr of work maximum.
For the speakers there is a FAQ on making custom door pods. U wount have any problems with speaker wiring just make sure u connect them in right polarity

·
CarAudio & Elect. Pro
1,874 Posts
just get a $7-$13 wiring harness from Wal-Mart or so for you year and model of car. Just match up the wiring from the harness and your deck then crimp or solder the wires together. Then, it's just a plug and play install from there.
Now, as far as your speakers go. Well, stock speakers actually suck with any kinda power. Yes, even with a simply aftermarket deck. Now, if your deck has HPF, or a high pass filter x-over, you could use that to raise the frequency that the speakers would only be receiving. In other words, they can't play lows (at all) and very little mids.
Your best bet is to purchase 4 cheap aftermarket speakers to fit into your factory openings. If you are unsure, then check out http://www.cardomain.com/shoptype/2-Way+Speakers this site will usually ask you from vehicle you will be using so it will show you only what will fit into those openings. Otherwise, you could try www.crutchfield.com but those prices are retail but at least it will give you a better idea of what all you could use.
Personally, I would not even use speakers in the rear. Get one good component set and a nice 2-ch amp and you'll be set. I promise you that it will be a night and day difference.
PM if you are interested in some Kicker Resoluion RS6's. I can probably hook you up from Kicker. Here is the info on those....
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-ittaGlG1ZTE/Prodview.asp?c=10&g=410&I=206RS6C&s=0&cc=01 Oh, and don't worry. You won't be paying that price. But I could probably get them for the price range you are wanting all 4 for. ;) Just let me know.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts