The Nissan Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Long live the Altima
Joined
·
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hasn't been so obvious until this past wicked cold spell here in Ontario, Canada. But as the title says, the heater takes an extremely long time to warm up the interior of the car. Other than the thermostat, what can cause this?
I also noticed that the blower power slows down when the car stops and idles, and then regains power when accelerating.

All tips, hints and advice is appreciated.

Thanks
 

·
Am I still a NOOB?
Joined
·
2,082 Posts
As far as the blower motor slowing down at idle, that happens. You might need to replace your alternator, but it's not too big of deal. As far as it taking a long ass time to heat up, a couple of problems may be involved.

Before jumping straight to the thermostat, I had the same problem. Check for a coolant leak first. If there's a coolant leak, you'd have to be driving for quite a while in order to get warm coolant to the heater core. But just the same, there might not be a leak, you just may not have enough coolant. Check that first, then look at the thermostat. I have the same problem. And I have a major coolant leak. I have to fill it up every 2-3 weeks. Mainly because I'm too lazy to fix it. So going to the end of that time period, this happens all the time. Check it out. Hope this helps.
 

·
Long live the Altima
Joined
·
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AltyPrince said:
Before jumping straight to the thermostat, I had the same problem. Check for a coolant leak first. If there's a coolant leak, you'd have to be driving for quite a while in order to get warm coolant to the heater core. But just the same, there might not be a leak, you just may not have enough coolant. Check that first, then look at the thermostat. I have the same problem. And I have a major coolant leak. I have to fill it up every 2-3 weeks. Mainly because I'm too lazy to fix it. So going to the end of that time period, this happens all the time. Check it out. Hope this helps.
Thanks a lot for the advice. I do not however have any coolant leaks or problems whatsoever. The coolant level is at its max, and I hardly ever have to fill it up.

Since the thermostat was changed not too long ago, I'm just wondering what it could be?
 

·
Am I still a NOOB?
Joined
·
2,082 Posts
It could also be a flow problem. In which case, that'll be hard. Maybe it's not flowing to the hearter core until the pressure in the cooling system is high enough.
 

·
Resistance is futile
Joined
·
3,202 Posts
Well, you said "extremely long time to warm up the interior " - but does the engine itself warm up in a normal amount of time? Or does the gauge stay low for many minutes. If the engine warms up but the interior doesn't, the problem is not the thermostat.
 

·
Resident NICO Mod
Joined
·
5,972 Posts
kierandill said:
If the engine warms up but the interior doesn't, the problem is not the thermostat.

Nope, it's usually:

no coolant
air pocket in coolant system
 

·
Long live the Altima
Joined
·
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
kierandill D said:
Well, you said "extremely long time to warm up the interior " - but does the engine itself warm up in a normal amount of time?
REVEREND D said:
Nope, it's usually:
no coolant
air pocket in coolant system

Yes, that's true. It may take up to a full hour for the car to warm up properly. The level of heat from the blower is very low, the air blows pretty strong, it's just not hot.

The coolant is topped up, and never leaks, the engine warms up to pretty quickly "about 5 minutes".

So, what is this "Air Pocket in coolant" and how can it be resolved?

Thanks
 

·
Resident NICO Mod
Joined
·
5,972 Posts
Tip the car 30 degrees front up and allow it to run. You might have to disconnect one of the hoses going to the heater core. Bleed the air out that way while the car is running.

Also below the distributor on the thermostat houing there is a bleeder screw. Open that and wait till a steady stream of coolant run out of the hole. Then just close it back up.
 

·
Long live the Altima
Joined
·
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
REVEREND D said:
Tip the car 30 degrees front up and allow it to run. You might have to disconnect one of the hoses going to the heater core. Bleed the air out that way while the car is running.

Also below the distributor on the thermostat houing there is a bleeder screw. Open that and wait till a steady stream of coolant run out of the hole. Then just close it back up.
Do all that while the car runs?
I guess it should be ok since the coolant won't be boiling hot yet.

How long should I leave the car tipped and running at the same time?
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top