The Nissan Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After waiting for backordered OEM parts to come in, I finally got my Stillen STS in last night. I must say it is an amazing difference in feel. One that rivals the B&M shift kit I used to have in my Mustang. However, everything was so rusted up, all the hardware and brackets had to be replaced. The bulk of the time was spent cutting shit off with a dremel tool. So I ended up spending roughly 6 hours getting this done, when under optimal conditions, it could have been done in under an hour.

Here's a pic of all the old shit I took/cut out.

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
installed

(ignore the door panel, it's getting paint and leather covered.)

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
installed #2

Now all I need is a black shift boot. :rolleyes:

Also, I did cut the threaded portion of the shifter off (about an inch or so)

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought the same thing....I think it has to do with the shift knobs though...he has the longer barrel type. Mine only covers about 1 inch of the shifter itself.

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
one's for the power inverter (for the computer) and the other rocker and pushbutton is for doing the brake-bypass so I can use the AUX functions on the multimedia station

·
Dreamer
2,712 Posts
looks sweet man! Great job.

You know what...maybe we can get [email protected] to make polyurethane bushing to replace the stock rubber one that connects to the shifter. I bet the shifts will feel much more solid and direct. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dude...no. lol Just go get a new OEM one. My shit is SO hard to shift from replacing all that stuff it's not even funny. It's almost a workout shifting now.

The OEM stuff isnt as expensive as you'd think it would be. The bracket, that rubber bushing, and all the nuts and bolts under there cost me right around $50.

·
Dreamer
2,712 Posts
haha, if its still too hard to shift after a week or so, add more grease! Gotta give it time for the grease to get inside the ball joint housing.

I donno if its the grease at work or just me...but after a week or so, my stillen shifter got noticably smoother and easier to shift.

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the ball joint moved around without ANY friction whatsoever before I bolted her into place. Trust me. That is not it. I have a brand new rubber bushing down there with a considerably shorter and shorter-throw than stock shifter. I understand it's gonna be harder but jesus H...my 500 hp mustang wasnt this hard to shift!

It's inspired me to look at getting a T-handle shifter like I had in the stang....gives you much more leverage and a pistol-grip feel....I just dont know how ghey that would look in an Altima.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
t grip like an auto shifter? haha. the problem with that kinda "shift knob" is going from 2-3...you can't push the lever to 3 with a t knob. well, maybe you could, but it wouldn't be as quick.
Jae

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
no no...this is what I meant.

It forms a 'T' out of the handle and shift lever.

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
quite possibly. I remember seeing it said to only tighten it to 16-20 ft lb's...I'll check that again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts