The Nissan Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
where exactly is the firewall in the sec gen im having troubles finding it i dindt see just a hole like i would on the first gens could someone help me ou ti was going to run my amp wires tonight but not sure where to take them?? thanks

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no shit i can not find it does anyone else with a second gen found this cuase chris and i have not i dindt want to drill but i may have to thanks for the reply chris

·
RINSE OUT!!!!!! RELOAD
462 Posts
I had to drill a hole in my 2nd gen 2001. There was a great spot for it right next to the steering column. There should be some foam insulation that has a perforated cut out on both sides of the firewall. If you cut or pull that out, there is a clearing perfect for drilling through the firewall.

Saitcho

·
PrOuD To Be HaWaIiAn
865 Posts
I'm not sure if my firends that did my alarm drilled a whole. Otherwise it would be above the break pedal. Just look up in there and it may be there. If there isn't then i guess you do have to drill.

·
10,373 Posts
saitcho said:
I had to drill a hole in my 2nd gen 2001. There was a great spot for it right next to the steering column. There should be some foam insulation that has a perforated cut out on both sides of the firewall. If you cut or pull that out, there is a clearing perfect for drilling through the firewall.

Saitcho
Yup, i took the one on the left of the column out and drilled through there. Perfect place for it, barely anything behind it to hit.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I might be too late but there is a spot. If you remove your drivers kick panel and pull up the black insulation on the fire wall there is a gromet. It's about as far left as you can get. The gromet comes out behind the fender up high. If you pull down the plastic fender well, you can fish the wire into the engine compartment. I was able to run "2" 4 guage wires through.

Good Luck..

1998 GXE

·
Nissan God
5,942 Posts
Chris said:
You won't find a hole (if there is one, i have yet to find it). Time to drill through that bitch ;)
drillin up there is hard as hell! cuz everytime u try the damn bit slides everywhere! i need to redo mine..i might try the fender well thing soon

·
RINSE OUT!!!!!! RELOAD
462 Posts
You might try using a snake drill to reach up there better.

·
Registered
237 Posts
The hole is in the firewall on the drivers side... (in my 2001)

You gotta take off the firewall thing in the wheel well... i unscrewed about 5 screws up after turning the wheel so i could get in there... then i sliced a small cut in the gromet, and shoved it through... if you wanna wait i can snap some photos of it for ya after i get home from work...

Wire comes out right near where my clutch pedal is.. bout 5 inches about it...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thats probably the same hole as my 98. I used a giant 3 foot zip- tie to snake the wires.

It's nice and clean when it's all done.....

·
10,373 Posts
Siizzzoooo said:
drillin up there is hard as hell! cuz everytime u try the damn bit slides everywhere! i need to redo mine..i might try the fender well thing soon
Yeah yoru telling me! lol. Took me like 30-40 minutes just to get the hole done. The angle sucks too... I even tried to punch a small dent into it with a hammer and a screwdriver, but that did crap.

·
Registered
133 Posts
In the 98 There is no hole. Just locate the cutout in the firewall foam and drill through the center. This is normally the hold for the clutch cylinder assembly I think, so you have to have an auto to do this.

Verify for yourself that the hole is clear by putting your finger on the engine side and have a friend tap the metal at the center of the cutout.

The right way to drill is to use a small bit first to drill a guide hole.
With a variable speed drill turning very slowly work on the hole. You will find that the drill easier to control this way. When the hole is deep enough you can increase the speed of the drill and drill all the way. Then use the the bigger bit at normal speed, the smaller hole acts as the guide hole for the big bit.

This is much more easier than going to the big bit immediately

If you exercise patience and size the bit properly you can create a sealed hole with a rubber grommet (as in watertight)

Jay

·
Nissan Pimp *stolen*
413 Posts
Chris said:
Yeah yoru telling me! lol. Took me like 30-40 minutes just to get the hole done. The angle sucks too... I even tried to punch a small dent into it with a hammer and a screwdriver, but that did crap.
Damn, I just pulled out on of the foam pieces and drilled away. From the time I pulled up the carpet and had drilled through, it had only been about 15mins. I just found an angle I was comfortable at started slow with the drill to make a divot, and then I could apply a bit of pressure without slipping. I had no problems. What took me the longest was making sure there was nothing behind where I was going to drill.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts