The Nissan Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning and Happy Holidays all!
Got into a brand new 2019 SR w/ VC Turbo this past weekend, as the Nissan dealership near me was trying to push all of the `19s off the lot. I have enjoyed it so far, much different from my `05 SE-R that I had back in the day.
My question for those of you who have owned, currently own, or are very educated on this particular car: is there anything I should be aware of? To be more specific:

1. Are there any general maintenance things I should be acutely aware of in the first year of ownership? Besides the synthetic oil change every 10k miles and such. How long would you break in the engine?
2. Any hidden or neat features that you enjoy about the car?
3. Anything you would like to convey to a new owner having had a `19 with the VC turbo engine?

I really enjoyed my `05 SE-R and ended up building it pretty nicely with an aftermarket CAI, down pipe, headers and exhaust. However, my high school/college years are over so it was time to move on.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Change the oil like a fiend, you have as many parts there as any 3 engines on earth (double rod bearings and crank bearings among other wasted horsepower sapping things) and it will be wearing out to match that. Why Nissan so stupidly added all that variable compression excess monkey-motion when a turbo IS variable compression just blows my mind. Unnecessary complexity just for the sake of it (the Japanese have long had mental problems with that) and thousands of them will be wearing out faster as a result. Give some thought to how fast rings and cylinder walls wear when you change the end travel of them repeatedly, something Nissan says literally not one word about. A good comparison there is CV axle life, designed to do the same variation thing and something Nissan is not well-known for making long-lived at all. Axles are far easier and cheaper to change than engines (that one for sure) though.

Remember that Nissan gave the world the most unreliable form of CVT as well and has never done anything to really improve it for long streams of cars. I for one would NOT go to 10K on the engine oil changes there at all. Don't care what they say. They said 60K on the CVTs and the fluid changes are needed at 30K.

Of course, one person's viewpoint only, I wish you luck. I for one would not own one though. It'll be impressive at first until the problems come. I predict many will scrapyard early when people find out how much it costs to fix them.

Hoping I'm wrong of course and good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good morning and Happy Holidays all!
Got into a brand new 2019 SR w/ VC Turbo this past weekend, as the Nissan dealership near me was trying to push all of the `19s off the lot. I have enjoyed it so far, much different from my `05 SE-R that I had back in the day.
My question for those of you who have owned, currently own, or are very educated on this particular car: is there anything I should be aware of? To be more specific:

1. Are there any general maintenance things I should be acutely aware of in the first year of ownership? Besides the synthetic oil change every 10k miles and such. How long would you break in the engine?
2. Any hidden or neat features that you enjoy about the car?
3. Anything you would like to convey to a new owner having had a `19 with the VC turbo engine?

I really enjoyed my `05 SE-R and ended up building it pretty nicely with an aftermarket CAI, down pipe, headers and exhaust. However, my high school/college years are over so it was time to move on.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2 Posts
My windshield cracked at 10,000 miles. It was not installed properly. I am waiting for 2 weeks for a new one. If it happens again I will cry lemon. Personally I think the cars are flexing too much because there are a lot of them cracking.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
My feeling is that as the glass gets curved more and more it cracks easier. They also use urethane to glue them down and although it NEVER leaks it is only 1/2-2/3 as thick as the old school tar rope seals were and less flexible to make up for body steel openings not perfect.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Change the oil like a fiend, you have as many parts there as any 3 engines on earth (double rod bearings and crank bearings among other wasted horsepower sapping things) and it will be wearing out to match that. Why Nissan so stupidly added all that variable compression excess monkey-motion when a turbo IS variable compression just blows my mind. Unnecessary complexity just for the sake of it (the Japanese have long had mental problems with that) and thousands of them will be wearing out faster as a result. Give some thought to how fast rings and cylinder walls wear when you change the end travel of them repeatedly, something Nissan says literally not one word about. A good comparison there is CV axle life, designed to do the same variation thing and something Nissan is not well-known for making long-lived at all. Axles are far easier and cheaper to change than engines (that one for sure) though.

Remember that Nissan gave the world the most unreliable form of CVT as well and has never done anything to really improve it for long streams of cars. I for one would NOT go to 10K on the engine oil changes there at all. Don't care what they say. They said 60K on the CVTs and the fluid changes are needed at 30K.

Of course, one person's viewpoint only, I wish you luck. I for one would not own one though. It'll be impressive at first until the problems come. I predict many will scrapyard early when people find out how much it costs to fix them.

Hoping I'm wrong of course and good luck.
This has all the earmarks of the Renault influence. And depending upon how involved they were with it’s design, reliability could be disastrous. Then u have the provenly unreliable cvt as well. Should have gotten a toyota or an older pre-Renault Nissan.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
It's not just Ghosn that did it. Various OEMs have finally put so much trickitis into the cars that reliability problems are popping up everywhere. Take Ford and the silly dry twin clutch DCT fiasco, and even Mercedes has had major trans issues on some of the upper line max number of speeds ATX. They are all trying to stick out with the latest gimmicks as the public is getting so silly they demand nothing less than a space car designed 50 years too soon for the tech to be viable. The gimmick period has arrived and the drivers are too goofy to understand how easy many of those gimmicks fail. Look at how many can't grasp that radar made cheap as accident prevention can easily cease to function with a car in front of you on a/c and it ejects some condensation to hit your sensor, it then disables. Some lower level Beemer and Mercedes cars use the exact same CVTs that cause Nissan so much misery. Nobody wants a dead reliable car any more, it's too boring.

Look at the number of posts here and other places on how they buy new cars and then do everything they can to turn them into gimmicky iphones, they worry more about bigger usb chips and bigger screens than they do whether the car starts and runs 100% of the time. Misplaced priorities like with so many other things and the OEMs are only trying to go there too to capitalize on that. And actually shortening lives of the car parts in every way they can to make for more parts sales and entire cars too. The engines generally last too long now and the car makers make small things break faster to make up for it, I call it nuisance breakage. By itself nothing but add them up and owners get tired of it to want another new car ahead of the normal time. Don't buy Ford, they will smother you with that. A viable idea now that most younger people never think of holding onto a car for 20 years like older ones did, they think you give one up in less than 5 years just like the phone. And why they will never have any money for retirement.

·
Registered
63 Posts
It's not just Ghosn that did it. Various OEMs have finally put so much trickitis into the cars that reliability problems are popping up everywhere. Take Ford and the silly dry twin clutch DCT fiasco, and even Mercedes has had major trans issues on some of the upper line max number of speeds ATX. They are all trying to stick out with the latest gimmicks as the public is getting so silly they demand nothing less than a space car designed 50 years too soon for the tech to be viable. The gimmick period has arrived and the drivers are too goofy to understand how easy many of those gimmicks fail. Look at how many can't grasp that radar made cheap as accident prevention can easily cease to function with a car in front of you on a/c and it ejects some condensation to hit your sensor, it then disables. Some lower level Beemer and Mercedes cars use the exact same CVTs that cause Nissan so much misery. Nobody wants a dead reliable car any more, it's too boring.

Look at the number of posts here and other places on how they buy new cars and then do everything they can to turn them into gimmicky iphones, they worry more about bigger usb chips and bigger screens than they do whether the car starts and runs 100% of the time. Misplaced priorities like with so many other things and the OEMs are only trying to go there too to capitalize on that. And actually shortening lives of the car parts in every way they can to make for more parts sales and entire cars too. The engines generally last too long now and the car makers make small things break faster to make up for it, I call it nuisance breakage. By itself nothing but add them up and owners get tired of it to want another new car ahead of the normal time. Don't buy Ford, they will smother you with that. A viable idea now that most younger people never think of holding onto a car for 20 years like older ones did, they think you give one up in less than 5 years just like the phone. And why they will never have any money for retirement.
The bolded statement above has got to be one of the dumbest, most idiotic statements ever mentioned on any forum. And Nissan is paying the price for catapulting this idiotic mentality which Ghosn and Renault brought to Nissan.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I hope you are not thinking I believe that statement myself...............it was an intangible drawn up out of many conversations I have had with others, most of whom are 35 years old or less. There will be a few of course that do not fit that as with any large group.

Myself, I love technology THAT WORKS, gimme the car with a reliable computer and well thought out software, and drop all the gimmicks trying to simulate cars that think for themselves past a certain point. I will accept changes made when they become ubiquitous from being utterly dead reliable, I stay away from anything unproven enough to still be a gimmick.

I followed the AMC Corporation and got to see in the '70s-'80s what Renault did to it, not that the company was perfect before. Renault hitting them was like having 3 turbos all at max boost at once. They bombed that company so fast it was a head spinner. Then Chrysler took over the remains and proceeded to get rid of anything good still left to add their own peculiar form of further destruction.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts